Read Ebcdic files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rhettbutlernc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Read Ebcdic files

Post by rhettbutlernc »

Could someone suggest any Cobol file viewer which would help to know if the generated file is correct.

I am able to view all the records properly in the created ebcdic file using a CFF stage. But when the file is viewed using a text editor all the rows appear in a single row . This happens only for few files involving a routine for PackedDecimal conversion, but not always.

Is the file good as long as it looks OK from CFF stage???

Also,
Thanks....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

UltraEdit allows you to specify a fixed record length format. This might produce odd results in the first and last lines, but it's quite robust. From memory you can even skip the first line (header record).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rhettbutlernc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by rhettbutlernc »

The problem was with 'Line Termination' in the Sequential file. When I changed the Line termination form UNIX(LF) to DOS style(CR LF) all the records appear in separate lines when viewed with Notepad.
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

By changing the line termination you could have got the records in different line. I dont how or watz the reason? :?
But did you check if the data is correct for each of the columns? i feel for Packed Decimal columns you must have got some incorrect values or junk values and it would have also affected the columns after the packed decimal column. Just check it out, do a data validation, b/w ultraedit- SeqFile and Seqfile-CFF.
I would suggest you to use CFF stage, if you have Packed decimals(various COMPS...).
Shantanu Choudhary