Oracle Date Timestamp

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oracle Date Timestamp

Post by shrey3a »

Hi,

I need to insert the current date time to Oracle the target field defination is 'Date' and has the data with ti,e stamp for e.g. 6/23/2004 10:47:00 AM

I tried using the TimeStamp(Date()) it gives the date date but time is all set to 00:00:00 . I need to populate the timestamp also as per the requirment.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
johm73
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Oracle Date Timestamp

Post by johm73 »

Try this:

OCONV(DATE(), "D4-YMD[4,2,2]") : " " : OCONV(TIME(), "MTS:")
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Or even this:

Code: Select all

OCONV(DATE(), "D4-YMD[4,2,2]") : " " : OCONV(TIME(), "MTHS:[2,2,2]") 
(though it really is easier with a 24-hour clock - change your date picture accordingly).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

or
1. Read it as a character throughout all the stages(even in the oracle stage)
2. Write a user-defined query , in which you use TO_DATE function, with a format that matches your data format.
Shantanu Choudhary
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why, when the stage will do the TO_DATE for you automatically? Doing it that way forces the use of Custom SQL (yuck) for any table that has a DATE field in it. :?

If you stick with a Timestamp datatype in the Target OCI, you can still work with it as a string all through your job (if you like), as long as when you are done it is in the proper format for the stage: YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS. Then the generated SQL will do the TO_DATE conversion on that field and you'll be good to go.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

yes you are right the generated sql query will also have TO_DATE format, but the format used in TO_DATE would be some default format, and it may not be same as your input data in that case you need to have User-defined query.

Again creating User-Defined query may intoduce some human error. But if we work smartly we can avoid it.

With working smartly i mean; first copy the generated sql query and then change the option to user-defined query and copy the query in the empty space and finally modify the format in the date function as per your input data.
Shantanu Choudhary
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

talk2shaanc wrote:yes ur right the generated sql query will also have TO_DATE format, but the format used in TO_DATE would be some default format, and it may not be same as your input data in that case you need to have User-defined query.
Need? Again, not really. You can either go the custom sql route (which I try to avoid if at all possible) to match your input date format, or you make sure your input date - regardless of its initial format - is always in the 'proper' format for the OCI stage when it hits it. One thing I bring with me in my Bag O' Tricks are some custom routines to handle taking dates / times in pretty much any format and getting them into an 'Oracle Timestamp' format. Everyone uses them, we have a consistant methodology for handling them and we don't have any issues with them. :)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
arunverma
Participant

Post by arunverma »

Use TO_CHAR function in user define sql while extracting data from source system .
Ex :- TO_CHAR(A.LAST_MODIFIED, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS')
and make column data type Timestamp and while loading data into Oracle with using Oracle plug-in , use column data type as char(30) , it will load automatically in table as timestamp .

Regards

Arun
Arun Verma