Multiple compile - DS 7.1r2 AIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

netland
Participant

Multiple compile - DS 7.1r2 AIX

Post by netland »

Hi,

I've just installed DS 7.1r2 for AIX (2cpu test system)
First thing i did was to create a small simple job and compile it - that worked fine.

Then i imported an old project from DS 6.1r4, and did a "Multiple Job Compile" and had to wait for 3 hours :o(

So today i tried to investigate a bit further.
This is what came up - are these numbers normal, or do i have a problem with my installation.

DS Designer: 30 seconds
DS Multiple Job Compile: 60 seconds
DCS compile all: 9 seconds

I did all of the twice in a row to check for caching issues - same performance everytime.

Do you all get the same numbers or does your DS MJC actually work ?

br
Tom
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Multiple compile - DS 7.1r2 AIX

Post by chulett »

netland wrote:Do you all get the same numbers or does your DS MJC actually work ?
Never benchmarked them. Sounds to me like yours actually worked just fine, just not at the speed you would have liked to have seen. :wink:

It doesn't surprise me, the difference is compile times. They are all different architectures and some (like the MJC) are more 'heavy weight' than others, pushing more information back and forth. Plus you never mentioned how many jobs are in the old project you imported that took 3 hours to run though and compile. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

MJC does a lot more communicating with the client (status reporting, mainly) than the CompileAll tool. This probably explains most of the difference; if it could just be left alone to do its work rather than having to give status reports all the time (ever had a boss like that?), MJC would probably be a lot faster. Maybe it could fork a child process to do the actual compiling.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
netland
Participant

Post by netland »

I was affraid that it was supposed to be that slow :o(

And since we have some sharedcontainers that are used in about 30-50% of the application we often need to recompile most of the jobs - therefor we generally do a compile-all.

But i guess we need to stick with DCS then. Might go the official way instead, and see if they have a solution for the problem.

br
Tom
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

netland wrote:Might go the official way instead, and see if they have a solution for the problem.
That's going to depend on if 'they' consider it a problem or not. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers