NLS Enabling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

NLS Enabling

Post by Precious »

I have the following questions:

1. Do I need to re-install DS in order to enable NLS? Is a "Repair" installation the same as a fresh install?

2. What would be the impact on existing projects?

Thanks in advance,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Precious,

NLS is a very powerful portion of DataStage. It is quite complex and will make your jobs go slower than before; it might also introduce errors in existing jobs (not compile-time but run-time). Unless you absolutely need to:

- Automatically map from one character set to another
- Manipulate multi-byte strings (i.e. substring functions)
- Collate on non-byte character sets

there is no reason to convert to NLS.

In addition, going from NLS to non-nls is not practicable. You do not need to re-install DataStage in order to activate NLS, but there are some settings that need to be changed and the server will need to be restarted (all of this is document in the NLS guides).
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

Thanks for the information. I will be looking at the NLS guides. :D
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you installed DataStage without NLS you will need to re-install.
If you installed DataStage with NLS but did not activate it, you will not need to reinstall.

To activate NLS, you need to change the NLSMODE setting in uvconfig to 1 and re-start DataStage.

But don't do it unless you need to.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.