Hash Files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hash Files

Post by reddy »

Hello sir,

How to make hash files reusable means i am created one hash file it can be used by other developers also,please provide me steps.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Narasa
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

A hash file is just like a database/table - if different developer point to the same file they will share it's contents; and by importing the column metadata into manager and using that definition it's description can also be shared.
reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reddy »

ArndW wrote:A hash file is just like a database/table - if different developer point to the same file they will share it's contents; and by importing the column metadata into manager and using that definition it's description can also be shared.

Arndw,

I created a hashfile with Account named as sales but some body wants to use my hash file that i was created,please help me out ...

Thanks
Narasa
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The other person should use the same Account & Hash file names in their job design as well and both of you will be using the same physical file.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As long as 'using' means 'reading from'. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig - or "both of you can then overwrite each other's records in the same hash file" ;) The caveat should always be there when you have someone else using your data - sometimes data can mysteriously disappear or get modified.
bryan
Participant

Post by bryan »

Why cant he just enable hash file cache sharing in job properties provided the operations by the two developers are read-only?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You don't need hashed file cache sharing unless both users are using cache. It is sufficient that both users refer to the hashed file in the same way - that is, same location (whether account or pathname) and same name (correctly spelled and cased).

And, as others pointed out, all writes to hashed files are destructive overwrites. You carry the risk.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.