Loading to Sybase IQ using OpenClient

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Luk
Participant

Loading to Sybase IQ using OpenClient

Post by Luk »

Hello!

I have encountered dangerous difficulties during loading data from MSSQL server to sybase IQ!

Ascential (sory IBM) IQ plugin, creates flat file with data, adn loading script on hard disk and then (manualy or by Open Client) sends IQ command which runs loading script and loads flat file with data into IQ server.
Each data column in flat file is separated with some character (default "|") which you can define on your own in loading script.

What is the problem??In my source database in one column (type varchar) I have character string which includes "|" character!!! And IQ loading script takes it as column separator!

and finally the question, is there in DS some possibility to avoid such situation, maybe you have some ideas? Because I don't want to put in every varchar column following condition: If column includes "|" change it !!

Regards
LUK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Isn't the delimiter character a property of the stage/link?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Luk
Participant

Post by Luk »

yes it is!! but if I define delimiter character i.e. "%" or "," and someone use this character in varchar column problem comes back!!
LUK
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

Luk wrote:yes it is!! but if I define delimiter character i.e. "%" or "," and someone use this character in varchar column problem comes back!!
try using ^ or ~ and see how it works, don't forget to change delimiter sign in Sybase IQ Bulks plug in too..

I was using this tricks before, from sql2k dump text file with ^ delimiter and load in IQ using that sign too..

YA
Luk
Participant

Post by Luk »

try using ^ or ~ and see how it works
I can use any character and it will be working. Do you think that ^ or ~ is better character and there is less propability that you can encounter theese characters in strings writing by databases users??
LUK
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

Luk wrote: I can use any character and it will be working. Do you think that ^ or ~ is better character and there is less propability that you can encounter theese characters in strings writing by databases users??
As far as I know users is very rare for using ^ or ~ instead of | or , sign

CMIIW
Luk
Participant

Post by Luk »

but danger that your jobs fails still exist :(

I ask another question - is there in DS possibility that loading into IQ using IQ bulk plugin will be continued when there will be warning??
Now job stops when there is a warning!
LUK
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

Luk wrote:but danger that your jobs fails still exist :(

I ask another question - is there in DS possibility that loading into IQ using IQ bulk plugin will be continued when there will be warning??
Now job stops when there is a warning!
nope job will be stop.