Running the ODBC driver from Basic in DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JeanPierreHaddad
Participant

Running the ODBC driver from Basic in DataStage

Post by JeanPierreHaddad »

Hello everyone

A couple of years ago, I was checking this subroutine which comes in the documentation of DataStage and executes a SQL command directly through the ODBC driver. The exercise was interesting and proved to work under certain conditions. I used Version 6.0 of DataStage. The main benefit of this routine was to address directly a table in Oracle 9 and extract the data returned by a SELECT statement, for further usage in a Basic program. .

My questions are:
1. Has anyone tried a similar routine?
2. Has anyone used this approach in Version 7.5?

Thanks for your input.
Jean-Pierre
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Bonjour Jean-Pierre,

since about two years people, who have used this feature with success in their routines complain, that it doesn't work anymore because Ascential and/or Merant implemented something to prevent this.

Wolfgang
JeanPierreHaddad
Participant

Guten Tag Wolfgang

This is correct, there is some tricky counter which prevented the usage of the routine since Merant acquired the rights on the software driver. But there is also a way to neutralize this trick.

If all people gave up on the usage of this routine this is most unfortunate. My 2nd question remains for some individuals who have tried it on version 6.

Is there a politically correct solution (from the point of view of Merant / Ardent..Ascential..IBM) which permits the execution of an SQL statement and the reading of the resulting data in a concurrent environment?

Jean-Pierre
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Of course there's a 'politically correct solution' for this - license (i.e. buy) the ODBC drivers for use outside of DataStage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JeanPierreHaddad
Participant

This sounds like a great answer. If few bucks can solve a technical problem and help make the wise decisions in a multi-million (add your own currency here) project, we will go for it.

Now let me rephrase my question:
For all those who bought the licensed driver, are there any who use it with version 7.5?

Or is there a representative of Merant or DataStage who can certify that the license will permit the execution of the routine without any problem? (refund garanteed?)

Jean-Pierre
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The main benefit of this routine was to address directly a table in Oracle 9 and extract the data returned by a SELECT statement, for further usage in a Basic program.
The same effect can be achieved thru a system command call to sqlplus. It's a whole lot cleaner, uses Oracles client software to manage connections, is fully supportable thru Oracle, and FREE.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

If you register the driver of the client database software in "branded_odbc" it also seems to work. You don't use the Merant driver, only the driver delivered with the database client software.

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.