Need info about uv command

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Need info about uv command

Post by vinodlakshmanan »

Hi,
I am again tinkering around with DataStage (oops.. IBM Websphere DataStage) commands on Unix and also am reading the Universe reference manuals. Figured I might be able to use some BASIC commands for fun.
Anyways, when I type the uv command from a directory not in $DSHOME/../Projects/<proj-name>, I am asked whether I want to set up the directory for DataStage and when I say yes, I get the following options:
0. Ideal compatibility
1. IN2 compatibility
2. Prime Information compatibility
3. PICK compatibility
4. PI/open compatibility
5. Microdata Reality compatibility
What do all these options mean? I do know there were legacy systems using PI/OPEN, but besides that I am blank.
Please do answer.
In the meantime, I will browse the Universe manuals and tinker around a bit more, for more queries. :wink:
Integrity is what you do when no one is watching
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

v. -

Years ago a character called Dick Pick came up with the concept of a non-relational and multivalue database system. He was a very good visionary and designer but did seem to have problems with successive wives, alimony as well as business management. For these reasons there were a number of companies that had almost-identical-versions-of-Pick. For a while Prime Computer (which sold it as "UniVerse" and from which DS hails) paid Dick a lot of money for doing nothing - i.e. for not creating another company with it's own version of Uv.

Just as with SQL Databases, each company has it's own added value functions and the menu you see when creating a new account reflects some of these. Most of the time the differences are nuances, and if you read the DataStage basic manual you will see a couple of commands that have different syntax depending upon which flavor you are running or with which flavor the program was compiled.

Since I grew up at Prime I prefer that flavor, but you can choose 0 if you wish.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The uv command is supposed to work in an account directory. An account is defined by 4 files VOC, VOCLIB, D_VOC and D_VOCLIB. If these files do not exist then it will create a new account. Universe has the ability to emulate other versions of Pick or Prime Information. All projects are setup as Ideal flavors of Universe. These means nothing to you or others which have never used Prime Information or Ultimate databases.

Do the uv command in a project directory. Save you some hassles.
Mamu Kim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Arnd

Just too fast for me.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, the Standard Answer I've seen on the forums here is to always answer 'No'. If you are being asked the question then you are in the wrong place, meaning not already in a 'project' directory.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Post by vinodlakshmanan »

Well, I tried it on purpose. I always used to see the following statement after running uv command: "User <proj-name> logged on"
So I got curious and the rest followed.
Thanks guys.
Integrity is what you do when no one is watching
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I just re-read the original post a bit more carefully; I had assumed that v. was intentially trying to create an account - that was wrong.

If you get asked which flavor, say "no" unless you wish to create a new UniVerse/DataStage account.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

If you get asked which flavor, say "no" unless you wish to create a new UniVerse/DataStage account.
I do believe this will create a new (valid) UV account, but I believe there are a few more steps if you want DS to recognize the new account as a valid DS project.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

actually, a lot more needs to be done; including changing the UV.ACCOUNT file - plus the account is missing the components necessary for DS so it wouldn't work correctly anyway. But the account created from the command line is a fully functional UV account in all aspects. I said "DataStage" account since now we are calling "dssh" instead of "uvsh" :D
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Arnd,

I only point this out so that we don't get a post one day saying "I used uv to create a new account and now I can't see it from DataStage ...... will someone please help me?????"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I recommend changing the contents of UV.FLAVOR to prevent accidental creation of accounts via the uv command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.