Shared Containers

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shared Containers

Post by throbinson »

I work with ten DataStage Developers who are all in the initial stages of incorporating a shared container in numerous jobs. I'll be conservative and say we will have 30 jobs all with the same shared conatiner embedded within. We are doing this to leverage common code for our Enterprise Exception Processing architecture. Unfortunately, while in debug mode the shared container is held exclusively. This prevents anyone else from compiling or debugging their own code at the same time. Ridiculous! Completely unacceptable! Can I mark the shared container as read only or otherwise prevent it from being held exclusively? If so, how? Will marking the object as read only in the VOC have any effect?
pkm7581
Participant

Post by pkm7581 »

Instead of making entries into the VOC file, try doing this to make your shared containers read only. Design info about the job objects in a container are stored in basically two tables (or Hashfiles): DS_CONTAINERS AND DS_JOBOBJECTS. You will need to find the appropriate CONTNO and udate the field READONLY.

Hope this helps,

Pavan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Locked Shared Container

Post by ray.wurlod »

But surely that (making the shared container read only) will not prevent DataStage from taking an exclusive lock on it when a job that uses it is running (even if in Debugger)?
Something someone needs to investigate, methinks (and I'm too busy at the moment).
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

Ascential has developed a patch. Any shared object will not be exclusively held unless explicitly opened.
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

throbinson wrote:Ascential has developed a patch. Any shared object will not be exclusively held unless explicitly opened.
Could you update us as to what version of DataStage you ran into this issue with? Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Encountered it in release 5.1 and 5.2
Details of the patch and how to obtain it would be useful! :wink:
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

My Homeys at Ascential set me up. You guys will have to chase it down from them. I did not see it on the support site. It is a client side fix involving the replacement of the file vmdsobj.dll. I'm still testing but so far the fix looks good.