Oracle OCI Connect Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

If you are referring to a BASIC routine then you would have to connect to Oracle via ODBC if you wanted to do something like return a result set. Ray gave you information on how to define your ODBC in UniVerse and it is correct for DataStage and if you were to use the "CONNECT" command from TCL, but to use the SQLConnect type of logic required in a BASIC program then you would need to define a DSN on the server and use this.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The other 'problem' with using ODBC via BCI on a UNIX server is the fact that the drivers that ship with the product are 'branded' and therefore are only for use by things like the ODBC stage. Once you start using them from the 'outside' via BCI it sets off a 30 day evaluation clock. After 30 days are up, all of your routines will cease to function. The goal is to set the hook and then have you purchase non-branded ODBC drivers.

At least that's what I recall from previous discussions here. Anyone?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Craig,

I seem to recall that at a minimum it will display warnings etc.. each time you use them this way. I remember using them @ BellSouth for months without a time limit, but that was 3 years ago and this could have all changed.

Most needs that I have seen where people choose to use a routine for relational access could have easily been accomplished within DataStage. I think creating these types of routines makes for a more complex and harder to maintain installation. Routines like this can be easily overlooked during an upgrade etc. and can bite you when you least expect and/or need it.