Trimming 'Carriage Return' from data in a column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Hello friends,

I am trying to process 'Supplier' data in a Server job. The job is aborted after processing some rows with the following error:

SUPP_DATA.. nls_read_delimited() - invalid quotes, row 5879 column SUPP_WR_HOUSE_ADDR = "17233 County Rd 6
"

After carefully looking through the data, I found out that there is a 'Carriage Return' at the end of the column which is throwing rest of the data into subsequent rows.

Can anyone help me with using the 'Trim' function to remove the 'Carriage Return' from the data?

Thanks a lot in advance
-Yamini
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you SURE it's a Carriage Return?
Could it be Line Feed?
Could it be a Windows line terminator (both)?
You can represent these by Char(13) and Char(10) in an expression such as

Code: Select all

Convert(Char(13):Char(10),"",InLink.TheString)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Slightly more efficient, so that you're not evaluating the Char functions for every row, would be to initialize two stage variables, say svChar10 and svChar13. The expression then becomes

Code: Select all

Convert(svChar10:svChar13,"",InLink.TheString)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

But... at this point... isn't it 'too late' for corrections of this nature? These kind of things need to be done before writing the file out. Right now the OP can't even read the file in properly.

First course of action (in my mind) would be to get whomever supplied you with this file to correct it - build something that is properly quoted. If you are building it in a previous step then perhaps you can do something along the lines of what Ray suggested.

Otherwise, a Filter command in the Sequential File stage to do this on the fly as it comes in? In UNIX a tr might be used, not sure what you would do in a Windows environment.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Ray,

I am sure that it is 'Carriage Return'.
Thank you for your help
-Yamini
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vinaymanchinila »

Hi,
I had a similar issue with a cloumn in the source data which had "," in the description field and it was throwing all the consecutive records into other columns. I used trim(Change(ToXfm.MACHINE_DESC,","," ")) and it worked.
Hope this helps.
vinay