How to Delete Entry from Version Control

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arunverma
Participant

How to Delete Entry from Version Control

Post by arunverma »

We have three Datastage platform - Development , QA and Production ,
and we are promoting application through version control . today we try to promote new application but due to some nework and system problem
process could not completed properly and got some garbage entry , Now we want to delete all entry from version control , So can anybody help me that how to delete appliaction entry from version control.

Regards

Arun Verma
Arun Verma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you want to delete single entries, you have to turn that option on as it is disabled by default.

If you literally want to delete 'all entry from version control', drop and recreate the appropriate VERSION project.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jman
Participant

Post by jman »

Chulett wrote:
If you want to delete single entries, you have to turn that option on as it is disabled by default.
The option is allow component deletion in the user option menu.
arunverma
Participant

Post by arunverma »

Hi Chulett/jman ,

I want to delete particular application category , not all entry , I tried to choose application category and delete from Edit-> Delete option but it delete component only not complete category ?

Pl help .

Regards

Arun verma
Arun Verma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm afraid those are your two choices... either delete individual entries or do an entire VC 'mulligan' by dropping and rebuilding the project.

The latter is not as bad as it sounds. If you are at a point where you can safely say that you "don't need" the various older versions of the jobs you have out there, back it up and drop it. Recreate it clean and Initialize a new baseline of all of your current jobs. Only problem is your Long Descriptions will still have all of your old VC information in it, so it can get a little... confusing. Not an impossible problem to solve, though.

If you are saying that you deleted all of the components in a category and the category still shows up, I think that's just the way it is as well. From what I recall, it doesn't actually remove what you delete, just marks them as logically deleted and (at your option) stops showing them to you.

Basically, once something is in there it's pretty hard to make it go away and pretend it never happened. Best just to live with it - or nuke it. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What you seek to do can be done, but only "under the covers" in the Version Control project (rather than from the Version Control client).

You need to figure out exactly what it is you want to delete, then where it is stored (and where the versioning information associated with it is stored), and use UniVerse-style commands to remove just those entries.

Has the feud between the brothers affected your operations?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
The fact that it still holds the deleted category and such is as it should be (you want a record of what happens along time)
Regarding the fact it may bother your eyes seeing it well...
As you went to the Tools >> Edit Version Options and checked the Allow component deletion to allow you to delete it you may also unchek the Display Deleted check box in the same place ;) this will solve the "don't want to see it" issue.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Roy, I think that the problem at Arun's site is the sheer size of the Version Control project directory - they have already once hit the UNIX limit of number of subdirectories (= dynamic hashed files) in a directory. That's why I believe he's trying to delete some. Earlier I had suggested converting some dynamic hashed files to static, since the latter aren't implemented as directories, and are unlikely to change in VC.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:Roy, I think that the problem at Arun's site is the sheer size of the Version Control project directory - they have already once hit the UNIX limit of number of subdirectories (= dynamic hashed files) in a directory. That's why I believe he's trying to delete some.
That would have been good information to know. :? Most times it not just about the what people are asking but the why as well. Knowing the why can help target the what. And the how. :wink:
-craig

arunverma
Participant

Post by arunverma »

Hi Mr. Roy/Ray/Chulett .

I agree with your point , We had faced directory limit ( Unix -3500) problem one year back then we create new project for version control .

I have promoted one application through version control . and after some days I made some changes in application and promote , so in My version control I have two version , Now I need to clean all the entry and promote from base version . So pl advice me how to do ?

Regards

Arun Verma
Arun Verma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

arunverma wrote:I have promoted one application through version control . and after some days I made some changes in application and promote , so in My version control I have two version , Now I need to clean all the entry and promote from base version . So pl advice me how to do ?
I'm a little lost still. Do you think you need to 'clean all the entry' just because you now have two versions of one job or did Something Bad Happen?

If all you need to do is 'rollback' (in a sense) to the original version, go ahead and promote that specific one to wherever it is that you need it - including back to your development project without setting it to Read Only. There's nothing that says you have to remove old versions when you do something like this. :?

Can you clear up why you need to do this? It might help get you a better answer as to what you need to do to 'fix' it.
-craig

arunverma
Participant

Post by arunverma »

I have two version of application in my version control , now this is new application and for some reason , we have complete deleted Application category and respective job from production DataStage server .

Now my requirement is also delete entry from version control , I want to create fresh entry of this application in version control .

I think now my requirement is clear .

Regards

Arun
Arun Verma