error in sequential file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsquestion
Participant

error in sequential file

Post by dsquestion »

Hi all,
i am using a sequential file to extract data from a text file which uses a delimiter to seperate the data.I am getting the error below.To my knowledge all the settings are right,but still i am facing this issue.Can anyone guide me.

TIMEDETAIL_SRC..Sequential_File_0.DSLink3: nls_read_delimited() - row 81, column JOBNAME, required column missing
TIMEDETAIL_SRC..Sequential_File_0.DSLink3: nls_read_delimited() - row 82, column JOBNAME, required column missing
TIMEDETAIL_SRC..Sequential_File_0.DSLink3: nls_read_delimited() - row 83, column JOBNAME, required column missing
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Based on the error that you have given it would appear that there are some rows that either have too many delimitters or not enough. Usually this happens when the delimitter you have chosen is found within the data itself.
dsquestion
Participant

Post by dsquestion »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.I have used | as the delimiter and this is not working out.comments apperciated
MaheshKumar Sugunaraj
Participant

Post by MaheshKumar Sugunaraj »

Hi,

In the Sequential File stage in the Output, Goto Properties -> Columns and In columsn you have "Incomplete Columns" , Its a drop down list and select the option "Replace" and run the Job.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards
Mahesh
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

As this is happening only for few rows, those row may be missing the columns - i.e. have less number of delimiters in the rows.

It is better to open the file in an xls and locate the rows to resolve the problem.
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

HI,
I had a similar problem where pipe delimiter was used instead of alphabet I , as Sainath suggested open the file and check,maybe this could help you.

Thanks,
Sai.
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
Did you try the following -
Go to format tab in Defining Sequential File
In Missing Columns Action, select Pad with empty string.
This specify what action you take when column is missing from your sequential file.

Thanks
Ketfos
dsquestion
Participant

Post by dsquestion »

Thanks everyone for the response,
MaheshKumar Sugunaraj solution has worked out.

thanks
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Was your input file a varying column layout?
dsquestion
Participant

Post by dsquestion »

Hi sainath,
my data was like this aaaaa,bbbbbb with two columns only but many records.when i tried to open the coloumn it gave me an error .but when i used MaheshKumar Sugunaraj solution it got solved.
But one of friend has got the same problem i have tried MaheshKumar Sugunaraj solution he is not getting it. Any solutions appereciated.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

By selecting 'replace' you are suppressing the impact / symptoms of the mistakes in the source data. Unless otherwise such records are expected, it will be risky to go down that route.