how to loop run job every five minutes

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lynnliu
Premium Member
Premium Member

how to loop run job every five minutes

Post by lynnliu »

i'm newer to parellel job, i find that startloop and endloop in sequence job palette,

how to use startloop plugin to run job every 5 minutes?

can i use server job control to loop run a parallel job, is it bad performance or structure?

thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Every five minutes is rather extreme - you're almost in the realm of creating a real-time service!

Between StartLoop and EndLoop you can, for example, include a Routine Activity that invokes a routine that does nothing but sleep for five minutes.

You can certainly do it yourself in a server job using job control code. This is, after all, exactly what a Job Sequence produces (you can inspect the job control code), therefore it's not bad practice. The controlling job need only execute on one node (the server machine) - once the parallel job starts its configuration file will specify what processing nodes it needs to use.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lynnliu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lynnliu »

thanks a million,ray

i finish it in server job control,cause the job parameter is dynamicly got from another job's output, i don't know how to do this between startloop and endloop

thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If job1 writes the information to a text file, you could use an Execute Command activity to read the file (cat filename on UNIX or type filename on Windows). Output from the command is available in downstream activities when you click "Use Parameter".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.