Job Sequence crashes Designer - Any ideas?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

peter_dickinson
Participant

Job Sequence crashes Designer - Any ideas?

Post by peter_dickinson »

DataStage Server 7.5.1
UNIX on SUN Solaris
Windows 2000 Client

When creating/editing Job Sequences in Designer, the Designer application is crashing with EXTREME regularity...an activity stage is opened/closed. We have got into the habit of saving after every change, but this still occurs:

DSDesign.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "xxxxx" referenced memory at"xxxxx". The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

This is happening on ALL client machines.
Anyone experienced this? All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Pete
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There was something posted (officially) recently on ADN about a memory problem in clients in 7.5 being fixed in 7.5A. Could be worth checking that post.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We have the same issue.
Mamu Kim
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

If you look in the install guide for "shmtest" than this may suggest uvconfig DEMOFF and so on settings that may help around this.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We set this correctly. It has nothing to do with the server config.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Kim, the 'buffering' issue *was* a performance related server side bug with row buffering and is unrelated to anything crashing on the client side.

And 7.5A is older than 7.5.1x, so that fix would be incorporated in the version you are running.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by poorna_76 »

chulett wrote:Kim, the 'buffering' issue *was* a performance related server side bug with row buffering and is unrelated to anything crashing on the client side.

And 7.5A is older than 7.5.1x, so that fix would be incorporated in the version you are running.
What is the most recent version of DataStage?

Is it 7.5.1A or 7.5.1D?

Thanks in Advance
jvaughan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Job Sequence crashes Designer - Any ideas?

Post by jvaughan »

I thought I would try to resurrect this thread since I am having the same problem. It wasn't a particularly big problem for us in the past since we did not have many sequence jobs but now that I have written a few, it is becoming more annoying.

The designer crash only happens when I am editing a job sequence -- it has never happened when working on a server job, no matter how complex. Once there are about five items on the canvas, designer will eventually "Encounter a problem and need to close" with a error reading some low-numbered address. There is no discernable pattern to when it happens, other than the more items there are on the designer canvas, the more likely it is to crash. The crash might occur after editing the properties of a stage, it might occur when I click the "job properites" button, or it might happen after dragging one of the stages a fraction of an inch across the canvas.

I filed a ecase with Ascential/IBM back in September of '05, but the issue was not resolved. After a few exchanges, the Ascential rep. told me that she had seen some problems with my version of designer (7.5.1.38, apparently the version that shipped with DS 7.5.1.a server edition) and sent me a new copy. The "new" copy turned out to also be version 7.5.1.38 so, of course, it did not fix the problem. Neither did the XP SP2 patch, which I had already tried. After a few more exchanges, I got "Gee, it's working fine here" and that is where the matter died.

This sort of intermittent bug is going to be difficult for Ascential to fix, so if anyone else experiences designer crashes while editing job sequences, please post the details. Maybe we can establish enough of a pattern to allow the bug to be found and fixed.

Thanks,

--JV

peter_dickinson wrote:DataStage Server 7.5.1
UNIX on SUN Solaris
Windows 2000 Client

When creating/editing Job Sequences in Designer, the Designer application is crashing with EXTREME regularity...an activity stage is opened/closed. We have got into the habit of saving after every change, but this still occurs:

DSDesign.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "xxxxx" referenced memory at"xxxxx". The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

This is happening on ALL client machines.
Anyone experienced this? All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Pete
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This is a known problem and there is a specific patch to fix it. Reference ecase 72758 - it corrects this issue in 7.5.x2, 7.5.1 and 7.5.1A.
-craig

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

Is it possible to get the patch released for an ecase which is not created by us.
Or is the only possible way to approach our support. :?

-Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

kumar_s wrote:Is it possible to get the patch released for an ecase which is not created by us.
Of course. Anyone with the same issue can get the patch.
-craig

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Craig,
If i knew a patch has been deliverd in a case(created by some one else), how can i get that patch?
If i go to view case, it allows me to access only to the case created by me.

-Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Call Support. They will have to make the patch "available" to you and the specific ecase number helps them know which one you need.
-craig

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

chulett wrote:Call Support. They will have to make the patch "available" to you and the specific ecase number helps them know which one you need.
Yup... Thanks. :) I already sent a mail a long back. Yet to get a response. Thought of expedite the process by downloading directly from website.
I guess i need to wait. :wink:

-Kumar