Version Control Maintenance

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Version Control Maintenance

Post by poorna_76 »

Can anybody throw some ideas on ,
doing any kind of periodic maintenance on the Version Project.

Thanks in Advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've never done anything special to 'maintain' any Version Control projects.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Well nothing special except do not keep all versions over time. If you do not delete versions then the Project gets extemely large. For example, exporting or upgrading to new versions impacts Projects and an average Project to do these tasks takes about 5 to 10 minutes whereas a large Version Project can take well over one hour...and this can be frustrating.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure. At some point, we all have to decide when a VC project gets 'too big' for our particular needs and then do something about it. I didn't consider that as 'periodic maintenance' as it's nothing I worry about on a regular, recurring basis. I've only felt the need to do this once in the last three years, but others may be versioning more jobs more often, so...

Since trying to delete individual versions doesn't really help, what I've done is do a full export of the bloated VC project and stash that away somewhere - then delete the project. Create a new one with the same name and then connect once with Version Control so it can add all of the 'special bits' it needs. At this point you can either let it start collecting new versions or perhaps Import a baseline of all current jobs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers