VOC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Dsnew
Participant

VOC

Post by Dsnew »

Can anybody throw some light on what is
-VOC
-Where do we run the commands in Datastage
-Where can i get a list of commands which can be run
-Can I also run these commands through UNIX, if yes in which directory?

Thanks in advance

NJ
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Do a search. This has been covered a lot.

Basically the VOC is the system table for Universe. Universe was the basis for the DataStage engine. You talk to this database through the uvsh or dssh called the Universe shell or DataStage shell. If you telnet into a DataStage server on Windows the n you should go straight to the TCL prompt ">". This is similar to sqlplus. The DataStage Administrator also talks indirectly to this shell. If you are in UNIX then you need to run the uv command in the bin directory of the DSEngine.

You can download the Universe.pdf from IBM's web site. A link was posted recently by Arnd. Ray has posted this link several times.
Mamu Kim
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
UniVerse is relational database environment. It has tools and commands used to input data into storage files, modify data records, and extract the records to produce and print reports.
It is underlying engine behind datastage.

UniVerse Vocabulary (VOC) file is part of this enviornment

It supports UniVerse RETRIEVE syntax as well as some American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standard SQL query usage.

These commands can be executed from Administrator also.

Voc File defines the universe account. Contents of VOC file limits access to
commands and files in a Universe account.

Ketfos
Dsnew
Participant

Post by Dsnew »

Thanks guys!

What is the relationship between VOC and DS Administrator Command line. Do they use the same syntax.What are the other things which could be done through the datastage command line? Could we run a job too through this.
Dsnew
Participant

Post by Dsnew »

I am unable to get the link for the Universe.pdf from IBM web site, searched it in the foum too. can anybody help me locate it please?
Also is there any documentation on how to run jobs in unx environment. Guess im asking a lot of questions :?
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Here is a link that might be what you want -

Administering Universe

edit: Here is a link to view all Universe pdf files available on the IBM website -

All Manuals
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
The datastage server engine is written in Universe BASIC. Universe BASIC is the programming language for the UniVerse database originally written by VMark software in the 1970's

The Universe database uses a type of file called "Hashed".

Voc File defines the universe account. Contents of VOC file limits access to commands and files in a Universe account.

Only if the command has entry in VOC, it can be executed.
E.g You can identify the file items locks by command LIST.READU
and clear locks by command UNLOCK USER #### READULOCK
where #### is process id obtained in step 1.

Likewise there are numerous other commands you can execute.
You will need administrator access for some of the commands in UV.

Ketfos
Problems are only opportunities in work clothes
Dsnew
Participant

Post by Dsnew »

You guys are great!
I tried to read the VOC file but it is encrypted, is ther any way to get the list of commands in the VOC?
Can i run a datastage job using the command line in the administrator?
The links given do have real good material
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Universe is not written in BASIC but it does have a BASIC compiler. DataStage routines use the same syntax as Universe BASIC. You can run jobs from TCL. You can get a list of commands with LISTV or HELP at TCL. You can get help on BASIC with HELP BASIC. There is also HELP SQL for help on Universe SQL.
Mamu Kim
Dsnew
Participant

Post by Dsnew »

Thanks all,

I think i need to a little home work on all the wonderfull info i got from you guys. May be ill get back with more after that!!!
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

very much informative .

Thank you all Guys.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Some history

Post by ray.wurlod »

VMARK began in 1984, so this is the earliest possible date for UniVerse. UniVerse was written to mimic Prime INFORMATION, but to run on UNIX (whereas Prime INFORMATION ran only on the proprietary operating system PRIMOS).

Prime INFORMATION resulted from work done by DEVCOM in the 1970's to provided a hosted version of the database originally created in 1967 by Nelson, Pick, et al. in a project for the US Department of Defense. This original design spawned a number of imitators as well as Prime INFORMATION, including Microdata REALITY, the "Pick database" (subsequently D3), Intertechnique 2, and others.

Version 5.2 of DataStage was the last to use genuine UniVerse as its engine. In 2001 Informix, the then owners of UniVerse and DataStage, sold its database assets to IBM and became Ascential. Agreement was reached that each company (IBM and Ascential) would thenceforth develop separately from the same source code.

Since then two releases of UniVerse have appeared, and three of DataStage. As well Ascential spent some of the sale proceeds acquiring various technologies, and incorporating them into its "Enterprise Data Integration Suite". By July 2005 IBM will own DataStage, and the next release of DataStage is scheduled for release in September 2005.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.