Notification Activity

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vsanghvi
Participant

Notification Activity

Post by vsanghvi »

Hi I am using notification activity at the end of my sequencer to send email. I do not want to hard code my mail server and email address as it may change. I thought that I could create a parameter in sequencer properties and put that in the mail server name and email address. For e.g. #Mail_Server# #email_address# and pass the value for this parameter from an external file. It is not working. It thinks #mail_server# is the mail server #email_address# is the email address so it generates a warning message. It does not take the value passed from an external file. Any Idea or suggestion ?

Thanks
V
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Notification Activity

Post by poorna_76 »

vsanghvi wrote:Hi I am using notification activity at the end of my sequencer to send email. I do not want to hard code my mail server and email address as it may change. I thought that I could create a parameter in sequencer properties and put that in the mail server name and email address. For e.g. #Mail_Server# #email_address# and pass the value for this parameter from an external file. It is not working. It thinks #mail_server# is the mail server #email_address# is the email address so it generates a warning message. It does not take the value passed from an external file. Any Idea or suggestion ?

Thanks
V
As of 7.1, Notification Activity does not support Parameters.

I have no idea about 7.5 release.

Thanks
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

It is supposed to support parameters on 7.5, but I haven't been able to test it yet.

tony
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It works.
Mamu Kim
vsanghvi
Participant

Post by vsanghvi »

kduke wrote:It works.
Can you explain how it works ? I have not been successful with that so far.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

I am currently using version 7.5 on Windows and it works fine with parameters. There were issues with other stage types (sequencer specific) not accepting parameters in earlier versions, but I have not encountered any of these issues with 7.5.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We email #DevEmail# and it works fine in UNIX as well.
Mamu Kim
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Create a custom environment variable (like $something) vs. paramter and your all set
palmeal
Participant

Post by palmeal »

Go to the Parameters for your Job Sequence and add a variable like SMTPSERVER/EMAILADD then on the Email Notification Properties click on the dots for the chosen property and your parameters (amongst other things) will be displayed.
This is the case for version 7.5.1 - I can't speak for previous versions.
vsanghvi
Participant

Post by vsanghvi »

Thanks all for the reply. We are on 7.1 version so I think I will wait for 7.5 before I could use parameters in Notification activity.

Thanks again.
V