How to output the tables from a output seq file to a file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS_MJ
Participant

How to output the tables from a output seq file to a file

Post by DS_MJ »

Hello:

Is there a way to output all "server" job's "Output sequential file's tables" into one file ...?

Another Q, in the server jobs:

In Erwin the tables were modified (columns added, removed, type/length changed). In Server the columns were modifed manually per job wise. (i.e. not load the table from table definition since the code will be killed so manually add/remove/modify the columns) Now can we load the modified table definitions ...? When we run the jobs will the jobs fail...?

Thanks,
MJ
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
You mentioned that jobs fail.
Q. What error do you get?

Ketfos
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The jobs will not fail if you import the tables again. It will prompt you to overwrite or not. It will add new columns and overwrite old ones.

If you output sequential files into one directory then UNIX cat command can combine them. Why would you want to do this?
Mamu Kim
DS_MJ
Participant

Post by DS_MJ »

Hello:

Hi,
You mentioned that jobs fail.
Q. What error do you get?

Ketfos
No I did not mention that the job failed. Rather would like to know if I delete the table definitions and import the new and modified ones and leave the jobs as it is and if ran the jobs would the jobs fail.
The jobs will not fail if you import the tables again. It will prompt you to overwrite or not. It will add new columns and overwrite old ones.

If you output sequential files into one directory then UNIX cat command can combine them. Why would you want to do this?
I just want to delete the table definition since its not matching the job tables which we manually added columns in the individual jobs. After I delete the table definitions I want to import the modified table definitions into the table definitions.

My concern is when I run the jobs would it overwrite the the tables in the transforms...? Cause in the transforms have set up stage variables and called routines and I dont want to loose that once I import new table definitions (not in the job but in table definitions).

The reason I want to output my "tables" from my jobs "output" sequential file to a word or text file is because we need to give to QA for comparing the tables in the jobs and the new table definition that we think to load.

So before doing any of this needed advice that my jobs will not loose its code in the transforms.

Thanks in advance.

MJ
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Sorry. The metadata in DS_METADATA does not effect the job. It may mess up MetaStage. You can delete it. You can import over it. This data is copied into the job whenever you load it. Afterwards all jobs are unrelated to this metadata except MetaStage keeps track of where you imported it from.

You can't really do much with these table definitions. I think you might be able to use Reporting Assistant to report on these. You can also use MetaStage. Ray posted a routine to export them to XML. That might be useful. I have a routine which creates DDL from them. Choose your poison. Most of these are not exactly what you were looking for.
Mamu Kim
DS_MJ
Participant

Post by DS_MJ »

Hello kduke:

Thank you very much. Appreciate it..... :D What a relief that my jobs will not loose its code if I have imported fresh MetaData into Table definitions.

As for the other issue I will go and look at your routine as well as Rays.

Yes the reporting tool in DataStage does give the metadata along with the design and other stuff. But I am just looking at outputing the metadata into a file rather than print out so many pages for each jobs.

Interestingly, I did find another way to print the latest table definitions of a job from Mainframe side. What one needs to do is compile the job then export to ones hard drive into a folder and save as jobname.dsx. Goto WordPad open the folder and look for "jobname.run" file. This file will list all columns with type in that job table. Cool...hah :D but unfortunately it can be done only from Mainframe. Luckily we use Mainframe.

Once again thank you.

MJ