non-root Upgrade

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ml
Participant

non-root Upgrade

Post by ml »

Hello, we're planing an Upgrade from DS 6.0.1 (root) to DS 7.5 (non-root).

1) Is possible to upgrade from a root instalation to a non-root? maybe a clean installation would be more recommended. what do you think?

2) I also need to weight the pros and cons of a non-root installation versus a root installation. The root inst. could be better :roll: ..any comments are very welcome.

Thanks!

mat
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Just do a root installation and assign dsadm....there are no pros and cons...if you do a non-root then you have post install scripts to run such as setting impersonation mode and so on....just do root....non root has no value....
wilcywilliam
Participant

Post by wilcywilliam »

Advantage of Root Install
In Root Install, auto start is enabled with impersonation mode, so that the DataStage services start automatically whenever the machine is restarted whereas in Non-Root Install, the administrator will need to manually start the DataStage services whenever the machine is restarted; auto start is not available.
Wilcy William
ml
Participant

Post by ml »

[quote="trokosz"]Just do a root installation and assign dsadm....quote]

you mean that if you are installing as root and you set dsadm as administrator (like 'install.sh -admin dsadm) then the ds services starts as dsadm? and you can run 'dsenv' as dsadm??
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

YES
ml
Participant

Post by ml »

trokosz, thanks a lot for your answer!

another question, Can I perform this 'non-root' upgrading from a previous root ds6 instalation?
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

YES no problem, to me a non-root install simply means needing to run post install scripts to make it look like root such as setting impersonation mode.

I like root install with dsadm as the acccount designated
ml
Participant

Post by ml »

Thanks trokosz and wilcywilliam for your help.

have a nice day.