Full Job Description

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kalkavi
Participant

Full Job Description

Post by kalkavi »

Hello All,

We need to Clear all the Job Description Created by Version Control in all the Job Properties. Is there any easier way (like SQL) to Clear all the Job Descriptions for all the jobs.

Thanks
Kalyan
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You could use SQL if you are confident. I wrote a routine to create a standard full description. I would download it from my tips page and modify it. I think I also posted the code on here. So search for KgdFixLongDesc.
Mamu Kim
kalkavi
Participant

Post by kalkavi »

Thanks for the Reply. I would like to know how to update or clear the table with sql. If at all if you can specify the column and table name that would be great.

Thanks for the help in advance
Kalyan
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you do not uderstand Universe then I am not sure I would do this. If you really want to pursue this then short description is field 4 and long description is field 7 of the ROOT record in DS_JOBOBJECTS. You need to be able to create dictionary items for field 4 and 7. Then just update with a WHERE @ID LIKE '%ROOT' or OLETYPE = 'CJobDefn'.

Do a search Ray has posted code to create dictionary items. The problem with type of update is you can corrupt your project if you leave off the WHERE clause. I do not want to be blamed for your mistake and neither does anyone else on DSX. Ascential does not want to support this type of operation either. It would be difficult to recover from this type of mistake. I know how to backup my project before I do this. I also know to do a full export before I do this.

If you still want to do this and think you can do it safely and cannot figure out the rest then let me now.
Mamu Kim
kalkavi
Participant

Post by kalkavi »

Thanks for your information. I did try renaming of jobs using Update statement and that was the reason i was thinking if there would be column for Full Job Description too. For Renaming i updated ds_jobs and ds_jobobjects. Would that be sufficient.? Is that the safer way to do it.?

Kalyan
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The problem is there are multiple record types in DS_JOBOBJECTS. So what is field 4 in the ROOT record maybe hash file name in some other record type. So if you create a dictionary item for field 4 and do use OLETYPE in your WHERE clause then you just messed up hash file name. OLETYPE is the record type. So if you have OLETYPE = 'value' then you might be safe. Up to you. I warned you.

Here are the dictionary items:

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO DICT DS_JOBOBJECTS 
(
   FIELD, 
   CODE, 
   EXP, 
   NAME, 
   FORMAT, 
   SM
) VALUES (
   'ShortDesc', 
   'D', 
   '4', 
   'ShortDesc', 
   '64L', 
   'S' 
)
; 

(
   FIELD, 
   CODE, 
   EXP, 
   NAME, 
   FORMAT, 
   SM,
   ASSOC
) VALUES (
   'LongDesc', 
   'D', 
   '7', 
   'LongDesc', 
   '64L', 
   'M',
   'LongDescMV'
)
; 

(
   FIELD, 
   CODE, 
   EXP
) VALUES (
   'LongDescMV', 
   'PH', 
   'LongDesc'
)
; 
Mamu Kim
kalkavi
Participant

Post by kalkavi »

Thank You. I will think twice before I move on to it. I do not want to open another topic. I have seen couple of forums on renaming the jobs. So i went ahead and renamed the jobs using update statements given to update DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS. Do you think is to ok and safer to rename the jobs by updating the above tables. Please apoligize for running to into another topic.

Thanks
Kalyan
kalkavi
Participant

Post by kalkavi »

Thank You. I will think twice before I move on to it. I do not want to open another topic. I have seen couple of forums on renaming the jobs. So i went ahead and renamed the jobs using update statements given to update DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS. Do you think is to ok and safer to rename the jobs by updating the above tables. Please excuse me for jumping into another topic. I did not use a proper language in my previous reply.

Thanks
Kalyan
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Kalyan

I think all of this is fine. I do it. Ray does it. I sure Ken and Craig do it. There is risk involved in going around any product and updating their tables directly. I am saying be safe and not sorry. Backup first.
Mamu Kim