"String data, right truncation" error msg

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

"String data, right truncation" error msg

Post by DSguru2B »

Hi guyz,
I am doing a straight load from a sequential file to the database table (SQL server). There are 91387 rows in the sequential file. Its giving me 8 warning msgs. The msg goes like this
" XTR_SrcBatSap_SOSD3002..TRF_ConvertDataTypes3: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]String data, right truncation "
where source stage name is XTR_SrcBatSap_SOSD3002 and transformer stage name is TRF_ConvertDataTypes3.
The data gets loaded, the data looks fine too, but i need to get rid of these warning msgs.
How do i resolve this problem.
Help needed.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Compare the column length of DataStage target and actual length in the db.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Have checked that before. Thatts not the problem.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to establish which column is causing the offence. Then check your source data (perhaps within DataStage - an extra output containing both the column and its length) looking for things like trailing space characters that cause the column to be longer than the maximum length specified by its SQL data type. DataStage doesn't care, and will process such data quite merrily, but - as you observed - SQL Server does care.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.