invalid quotes problem ( " )

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hemant
Participant

invalid quotes problem ( " )

Post by hemant »

Hi!

If i am running the job with default Quote character thats ( " ) only and in my extraction one of my column value is CORNER CHSL "KALPAK CORNER"

then my job get aborted giving an error :

J3NpaXfm..DSS_Cell.Cell_Info: read_delimited() - invalid quotes, column CELL = "CORNER CHSL "

and if i am running with Quote character ( 000 ) then also the job is getting aborted .

any body knows the solution.

Regards
Hemant
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hemant,

I will assume that you are reading a delimited sequential file, as this is pretty much the only place where quotes come into play. If you look at your source file in an editor, are all the text strings quoted with double quotes? Does your text file separator actually appear within quoted texts?
What error is your job aborting with when you specify no quote character?
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

ArndW wrote:Hemant,

I will assume that you are reading a delimited sequential file, as this is pretty much the only place where quotes come into play.

If you look at your source file in an editor, are all the text strings quoted with double quotes?
- No

Does your text file separator actually appear within quoted texts?

- No not in all the columns

What error is your job aborting with when you specify no quote character?
-

This is the error when i uae 000 quote character
J3NpaXfm..DSS_Cell.Cell_Info: read_delimited() - row 99879, too many columns in record
wilcywilliam
Participant

Post by wilcywilliam »

The quote character should contain the character used to enclose strings. Enter 000 to suppress the quote character.

In your case the row 99879 violates the sequential file definition, you can use the incomplete column in the columns tab to specify the action taken if the column contains insufficient data to match the meta data.
Wilcy William
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hemant,

the error when using no delimiter mean, unfortunately, that your separator does actually appear in the string information.

This isn't quite trivial to solve. If you separator is a comma, you could do a global replace of ", and ," sequences into ', and ,' plus replace the first character of each line (if it is a string) with ' as well as the last character of each line with ' -- effectively replacing all "real" double quotes with a single quote. I might even write a quickie DS job to do this. Then you could reread the file as per your original, this time using a single-quote as the quote character.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

You need to set the quote char to " and delimiter to ,

If you are creating the file, you are better-off using some other char as delimiter during creation and then using that delimiter in all other places.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: invalid quotes problem ( " )

Post by PhilHibbs »

I know it's difficult with large data sets, but have you checked that there are no line termination characters in your data where they should not be? Setting the "Contains terminators" flag on your columns might help.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

I assume it is not to do with line terminators as the current error obtained is 'too many columns' and not 'required columns missing'.
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

Thanxs all of u for giving yur time since the problem was more time consuming so
i have chaged my source file , now i am not taking ( " ) this as column CELL = CORNER CHSL NRP "XLRIP"

Regards
hemant
naren6876
Participant

Post by naren6876 »

did you check the sourcefile at 99978 row.Probably the row length is less then what you specified.
hemant wrote:Thanxs all of u for giving yur time since the problem was more time consuming so
i have chaged my source file , now i am not taking ( " ) this as column CELL = CORNER CHSL NRP "XLRIP"

Regards
hemant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

An interesting cross check is to see whether you can load the file (or a subset of it containing the problematic row) into a spreadsheet. If the spreadsheet also can't handle it, then there's most likely a data problem rather than a DataStage problem.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

You can always select a sub-set of rows. Or pick selected layout / format.