50 Warnings Limit

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ranga1970
Participant

50 Warnings Limit

Post by ranga1970 »

Hi folks;
I do not have admin previlages; I am setting warning limits to unlimited in my Director but it still get aborted after 50 warnings; I am of opinion that Project level variable is over wrting and my user level; I went out to admin and told him this and he said he will lokk in to it. But if any one can give input how to do this it would be great and I can pass it over to my admin.
We need to do this just one time while loading initial load and change back to 50 limit for incremental loads there after

thanks
RRCHINTALA
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ranga,

Am I correct in understanding that in your installation, when you go into the Director, click on "run" for your job and in the "limits" tab you specify the button "no limits" for warnings the job still aborts after 50 warnings?
wilcywilliam
Participant

Post by wilcywilliam »

The Job Run Options dialog box allows you to change the job parameter values and default limits for row processing and warning messages each time you run a job.
Wilcy William
hemant
Participant

Re: 50 Warnings Limit

Post by hemant »

Hi!

Change the warning limit when yu run yur job through director make it according to yur req. i mean increase yur warning limit so the job get successfully loaded.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

It is better to trap the error / warning records into a file - if they appear for some reason.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: 50 Warnings Limit

Post by chulett »

hemant wrote:Change the warning limit when yu run yur job through director make it according to yur req. i mean increase yur warning limit so the job get successfully loaded.
Or - better yet! - correct your job so that it doesn't generate any warnings. That's the only way to really get your data successfully loaded. :wink:

There have been posts on this subject here before, that explain how running jobs from Director or Designer or from the command line can have a different 'default' for the number of warnings before a job is aborted. We don't take any chances, our job control code explicitly sets it from a configuration file for each job as it is run.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ranga1970
Participant

Post by ranga1970 »

I take your suggestion chullet ; usaully our limit is 50 but we ahve special situation where we are going live with some business requirement need to load about 400 million records as initial load just for initial load we want unlimited. but the question here when I run the job from shell scripts its aborting after 50 limit; my shell scripts does not have any limit; but how do set it to unlimited
RRCHINTALA
ranga1970
Participant

Post by ranga1970 »

Does the project level limit over riding user level limit, if yes how to change this in the administrator

thanks
RRCHINTALA
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ranga1970 wrote:but the question here when I run the job from shell scripts its aborting after 50 limit; my shell scripts does not have any limit; but how do set it to unlimited
If you don't specificy a warning limit when you run the job, it should take the project level default which (as noted) is set via the Director. For your shell scripts that use dsjob to launch jobs, specify the fact that you want the Warning Limit to be unlimited by added -warn 0 after the -run option.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Default limits can be set in Director, under Tools > Options.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Just to summarize here because the answer was said in several ways. If your running the Job via your Director Client then "no limits" is fine....If your running the Job via dsjob the the "no limits" won;t work because "no limits" is stored on a developers individual Client and not seen by the Server or Project where dsjob looks....so dsjob needs -warn o to do the same as "no limits".

In addition, one could establish a $[variable] which can be set in the Client but read by the dsjob....
nkln@you
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nkln@you »

Ranga, how much time is it taking to do initial load for 400 million records?
Aim high