Sequencer look and feel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mkramesh
Participant

Sequencer look and feel

Post by mkramesh »

Arrangement of arrows joining two blocks is not proper in sequencer.
I have no control over the direction of the arrow marks, even i change the description poistion and save it, it goes back to original position, and its all crumbled. Is there any way to make it look good?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not really sure what you are saying here, but you have total control over the "direction of the arrow marks". :? It's all about which way you drag the link. If it's wrong, you may just need to delete it and then drag it in the "correct" direction.

Or in some places, with the new option of allowing "hanging links", you can disconnect both ends and then flip it around.

Does that help?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mkramesh
Participant

Post by mkramesh »

Ok.... I dont understand what you are talking about....

Let me give you more clarity on what I am talking about.

I am using DataStage Designer Version 7.5
I created a New "Job Sequence" which runs 11 Jobs in some orderly fashion.

I have to trap each of those 11 jobs Success/Failure, all failures are collected in a "Sequencer" (lengthly one on the left side, Its like a error collecting BAR- dragged heightwise). Now Error collecting Sequencer is on left side, And all the 11 jobs are in right side of the screen.

If I establish a "failure" link between any job to the sequencer(Tall one on the left side), even thought I make a straight line link, It just takes its own path and goes all the way down to the middle, So I get a slanting link, when I make 11 links like that, It looks ugly. with all that success links running between Jobs, the links crosses each other, the links description were jumbled, Can't position the link description at one place, etc..

I have no control or watsoever with that. I can't make its direction straight, It take a slanting shape automtically.
Hope now you are getting what I am talking about.

Is there any setting which makes those "links" go in a user controlled direction??????

Many Thanks!
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

It sounds like your JobActivity stages are not alligned vertically to form a single column. Try lining them up, and see if it straightens your links to the sequencer stage.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

mkramesh wrote:Is there any setting which makes those "links" go in a user controlled direction??????
Ah... no, unfortunately not. All you can do is what Chuck suggested, trying to line things up better. Sometimes the 'Snap to Grid' option helps, too.

But bottom line is you have no direct control over either the link pathing itself or where it decides to put the link label.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The links go in the direction you create them. The arrowhead is on the stage to which they are drawn (not from which they are drawn). It's perfectly OK that the arrow runs right to left, but the link must be drawn in that way.

If you're concerned about rectilinearity in your job design, you can resize the Sequencer so that it can more readily receive the links. It will reorganize every time a new link is connected, so don't stress too much until you've added all the links. THEN get the sizing right.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.