Environment variables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Environment variables

Post by kollurianu »

Hi all,

I would like to know , how can i make project environment variables encrypted like such as oracle password and use them as finally
job parameters. i mean project environment variable used as job parameters.

Can some one explain me clearly how to accomplish this.

Thank you all very much.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

kollurianu,

the only way I see this working is if you write your own SetEncryptedEnv and GetEncryptedEnv functions that use some arbitrary algorithm to do this - the DataStage functions are not available to do this.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Hi Arnd,

Are SetEncryptedEnv and GetEncryptedEnv are Unix functions to be used
to make them encrypted and use them in the datastage jobs(parameters
are encrypted using those functions) do we need to decrypt them with these functions and in datastage job.

Please explain me clearly.

My whole point is that i want to make production oracle password encrypted as datastage project environment variable and i should be able to use that as job parameter(project datastage environment variable)

Thank you
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
My cheep solution is having a central job control that runs all jobs and hold encripted passwords for all DBs required.
any change of them means changing that job and promoting it indeed, but nothing else - no other job needs any change.
the mentioned job naturally also get the parameters list from a DB table and sets all parameters to the requested job to be run.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
sachinkc
Participant

Re: Environment variables

Post by sachinkc »

Have them read from read-only file (permission to read by PROD usr group)

- Sachin
kollurianu wrote:Hi all,

I would like to know , how can i make project environment variables encrypted like such as oracle password and use them as finally
job parameters. i mean project environment variable used as job parameters.

Can some one explain me clearly how to accomplish this.

Thank you all very much.
Rgrds & Cheers!

Sachin
sachin@operamail.com
~Life always finds a way~
dnsjain
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by dnsjain »

Another solution

Create a encrypted text file in some setup directory with user name and password separated by some character. Have the path of setup directory as environment variable in DataStage.

To get the password, you need to create a batch job which will execute Unix script to get the password and then pass the password to main job.

Dinesh
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Version 7.1 and beyond supports the creation of an encrypted project level environment variable that is set by the Administrator tool and can be added to a project as an encrypted environment job parameter and used in a database stage. I think it's time to add a new FAQ! You need to set the value of the job parameter to $PROJDEF (you will need to type it twice as it is an encrypted field).

The only drawback is that "View Data" will not work with job parameters set to $PROJDEF.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vincent - wowie! Finding out about enhancements like that is just like Christmas 8)

Thanks!
vaby
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by vaby »

You can paste $PROJDEF instead of typing it, it accepts doing this. :)

A really ugly pitfall is that you loose ability to view data in a stage. :evil: I hope this is fixed in future releases, anyone heard about this?
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Although you cannot View Data when it is set to $PROJDEF, you can replace $PROJDEF temporarily with the real value(s) and see the data. While it isn't fun to type everything in, it does allow you to verify connectivity, the SQL, the data, etc.

John
vaby
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by vaby »

I know, but it is still ugly. Hope IBM fix it. :lol: