SEETING UP PROJECT DEFAULTS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

waitnsee
Participant

SEETING UP PROJECT DEFAULTS

Post by waitnsee »

Can anyone tell me how to set up project defaults.
Say I have a database, userid and password how do I set it to default values in the job parameters.
(ie) How do I define them as environment variable and set it to $PROJDEF in Datastage jobs.

Thanks
WNS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Set them up using the Administrator client. There is a command button for the project properties with Environment Variables as its caption. This is where you need to be to set up user-defined environment variables.

When creating job parameters in server jobs, you can use the environment variable directly. There is a command button in the Job Parameters page for doing so. (You can actually link back to the window where you create the environment variables from here, too.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sudhirmah
Participant

Post by sudhirmah »

Ray,

Adding environment variable works both from administrator as well as designer. but as far as assigning default value, we can only assign in administrator. In designer it only prompt for parameter name & prompt.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: SEETING UP PROJECT DEFAULTS

Post by PhilHibbs »

waitnsee wrote:Can anyone tell me how to set up project defaults.
Others have answered the main question, my tip is to make a backup of the DSParams file in the project directory .../Ascential/DataStage/Projects/ProjectName as this is where they are stored. You can copy this file from one project to another, I don't think there is anything in it that causes problems when this is done. It makes creating new projects a lot easier.

We have separate projects for development, QA, and production, and use Manager's export and import functionality to promote code. Backing up and copying the DSParams has saved my sanity more than once.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gomez »

Can somebody tell me how to associate values to those environment variables ? Is it by editing the DSParams file ? Is there any other simpler way to do the same?

Thanks in advance
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There is a FAQ now on how to set and use project specific environment variables. You can change them by modifying the DSParams file directly or by using the DataStage Administrator tool and finding the Environment Variables button. If you want an encrypted parameter your only option is to set it through a DataStage product such as Administrator or Director, it is difficult to set it directly in a file.
gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gomez »

That resolves my doubt. Thanks vmcburney
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Good to see a doubt got clarified after 3 years. :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Best not to rush to conclusions.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

kumar_s wrote:Good to see a doubt got clarified after 3 years. :wink:
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:23 am
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Isn't it more like a year and a half? :wink:
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Seems like three years!

<sings>Tried for three years, seems like thirty...</sings>
(Jesus Christ Superstar - Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.