log files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SWW
Participant

log files

Post by SWW »

I am running a job that calls a procedure that updates, deletes, and inserts info into 45 tables. Each time the procedure executes it writes informational messages about the sql statement it performs.

This is great when you are debugging the job, but in production this job will execute about 100,000 calls and the log locks up the machine.

Question:
is there any way to turn the log off and not report each call?

Thanks in advance!
Steve
SWKYDERBY
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

SWW - DataStage subroutines do not by default write anything to the job logs {which is what I am assuming you are referring to in your question}; what method in which part of the job are you using to execute your external SQL?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Arnd is correct. If you put a print statement in your routine then it prints in the log.
Mamu Kim
SWW
Participant

Post by SWW »

Thanks for the info. I had print statements in then procedure as I was testing them in a sql window and put the whole thing in the executable procedure. I'll take that out.

Thanks, Again.

Steve
SWKYDERBY
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can define a token and, based on whether that token is defined or not, conditionally compile the PRINT statement. In this way you can turn it on again when you need to test the next version.

Code: Select all

* Toggle between $DEFINE and $UNDEFINE to enable/disable test statements
$UNDEFINE TESTING

$IFDEF TESTING
Call DSLogInfo('Value of X is ' : X, "Routine Test")
$ENDIF
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.