How to create FB file using FTP Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Suttond
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to create FB file using FTP Stage

Post by Suttond »

We are using FTP stage to write a file to IBM enterprise server, with fixed width fields, nothing between the fields and cannot create anything but VB files. How do we cause the file to be FB?
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Can you give a bit more specific info?

(are you getting errors?, can you write a simple ascii file there?,...)
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
Suttond
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Suttond »

roy wrote:Hi,
Can you give a bit more specific info?

(are you getting errors?, can you write a simple ascii file there?,...)
There are no errors. The file allocates as a Variable Blocked (VB) file successfully, but all fields are fixed width and customer wants to read a Fixed Block (FB) file. Ascential says that we must preallocate the file, but we want to use Generation Data Groups and these files cannot be preallocated.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you do it with regular FTP (that is, not with DataStage)? If so, have DataStage generate a local file then run a script to perform the FTP operation.

As far as I know there is no property of the FTP stage that allows a file to be created as an FB file. Indeed, I don't think that the Sequential File stage can do it either.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.