how to estimate the disk space for a DataStage project....

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajiivnb
Participant

how to estimate the disk space for a DataStage project....

Post by rajiivnb »

Hi Group,

How can i estimate the disk space of a project. Say if i have 45 jobs and 100 hash files. how can i fix the disk space. And where to refer that. From the development side, the project was finished. need to be given to production.

Thnx in advance.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I posted a routine to do this called KgdEstimateDiskSpace. If you cannot find it then let me know. You need to import your metadata. You need to know the number of rows for each hash file. This routine needs to know the id for DS_METADATA which is the table plus the folder like Saved\Hashed\MyHashFileName. This routine will add all the column lengths and give you an average row length assuming things like 50% of the length of a varchar is actually used. Then multiply row length by the number of rows. You could write something to automatically count rows on the source and associate this with each hash file some how to combine the two. Be creative. You have souce code on this routine to adjust it any way you want.
Mamu Kim