Version Control

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS_MJ
Participant

Version Control

Post by DS_MJ »

Hello:

When I was Initializing a project in Version control to Version I it was retreving components that I had selected. However, two of the developers logged into the server from where I had selected the components and I got an Error Message.

Error message: Unable to read record Error: 0

I clicked ok and then it continued initializing. Once finished initilizing I went and looked at the jobs under Version I and found that all the jobs, that I initialized in Version 1 looked ok.

Under Jobs ---> Jobname ---> on the action column checked that it specified INIT. So I think that my initializing of the project to Version I was successful.

However, could anyone explain what this error meant. This is my first time with Version Control. Should I delete this version and redo....?

Thanks in advance.

MJ
Thanks in advance,
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If two developers had a job open then they had a lock on those jobs, Version Control should not have been able to open and initialise those jobs. You may have to initialise those two jobs again to add them to your Version I release. In the Version Control tool expand your Version I release so see if any jobs are missing.
DS_MJ
Participant

ReInitialize jobs to the same version.

Post by DS_MJ »

Thanks vmcburney:

Appreciate your quick response. Can you please let me know how to initialise the jobs again to add them to Version I release. Seems like my coworkers cant remember which job they had opened. These two have their seperate folders under which they put their developed jobs. So I will have to readd all their jobs from those two folders.

In Version Control tool, I expanded Version I release and verified that no jobs were missing.

Thanks,
MJ
Thanks in advance,
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Sounds to me like all your jobs made it into the release since they are all present within the version control repository. The only thing I would check is to go through each job folder and sort by modify date and look for any modify date that occurs during or just after your initialisation. These are the jobs that may have been locked and modified while you did your release. If you see no clashing modify dates then your release may be complete.
DS_MJ
Participant

Reinitializing Version Jobs

Post by DS_MJ »

Hi vmcburney:

I looked at the date field in Version I and they show the same as other jobs so I am presuming that it got initialized fine.

However, if I ever have to reinitialized specific jobs in the same version could you please let me know how to do the same....?

Thanks so much for all your help and assistance.

MJ :)
Thanks in advance,
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

When you create a release you can initialise as many times as you like, just as long as you initialise to a common release identifier such as a release number or a batch name.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In otherwords, when you initialized jobs for the first time, you got version 1.1 on everything. If you then connect to the dev project and initialize some of the jobs again, they will be version 1.2 in the repository unless you override the numbering schema during the import.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DS_MJ
Participant

Post by DS_MJ »

Thanks vmcburney and chulett appreciate it. :)

MJ
Thanks in advance,