ODBC with Excel "Operation must use an updateable query

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mickboland
Participant

ODBC with Excel "Operation must use an updateable query

Post by mickboland »

I get the following error when trying to write to an excel sheet using ODBC or OLE DB (using a DSN).

Operation must use an updateable query
DBMS.Code= -3035
SQLState = S1000

HAs anyone found this error because I cannot understand why!!
mickboland
Participant

Problem Solved

Post by mickboland »

ODBC DSN connections to Excel are readonly by default - need to ensure the readonly check is off!!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Thanks for posting the solution, and welcome aboard! :D

I hadn't had time to look into this yet; remember too that Worksheets are exposed as system tables to the ODBC driver.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tslack
Participant

Post by tslack »

I'm experimenting with read from and write to Excel.
Using DS v7.5 Server Ed, I can read just fine using DataDirect ODBC for Excel driver. Had to ensure my xls was Saved As the older format workbook MS Excel 97-2000 & 5.0/95 Workbook. It didn't work with Excel 2003 workbook (got error "Cannot open stream workbook" or some such).

My question ... getting the Write to work ... how is this again?

The ODBC driver is read only.

I am trying the MS OLEDB driver, found the Read Only checkbox and cleared it, found Accesses and checked Read, Write, and Read/Write.
Went through the Connection wizard in the DStage stage properties box, and got a successful Test Connect.

However, when I pull the trigger and write to this stage (with Insert Rows Without Clearing), I get warnings saying "Provider does not support transactions."

However, under stage properties for Transaction choices, there is no choice of "None" or "Disable" ... so I find myself in a Catch-22.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(Mr.) Tracy Slack