How to replace a string in Transform stage?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vsanghvi
Participant

How to replace a string in Transform stage?

Post by vsanghvi »

I am reading a data from DB2 and need to put into Oracle. My design is DB2 ->Transform Stage -> Oracle. Once i read the data from DB2 I need to remove certain words from the row. For e.g. Let's say I have following rows.

1. XYZ Fund.
2. XYZ Variable Life Insurance Fund.
3. XYZ Variable Income fund.

I need to replace 'XYZ Variable Life Insurance' with 'VLI' and I need to replace 'XYZ Variable Income' with 'VI' and if it is only XYZ in the name then just remove it. So the result would like this.

1. Fund.
2. VLI Fund
3. VI Fund.

Now i can do this creating routine and I have done that successfully. My question is, is this possible in Transform stage itself ? Is there any other way to accomplish this without writing routine.

Thanks
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

None more simple and elegant than the way you've done it. THe alternative is to paste your function logic into the derivation of the column, which would probably not fit well given the CASE and/or LOOP statement/ structure you've probably used in the function.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

I agree with Ken. Chances are that your routine code could be streamlined, for example with judicious use of the Ereplace() function.

You can post your code here if you'd like us to look at it, and it does not violate any non-disclosure agreement you may have in place. If you do, selected the entire body of code, then click on the Code button above.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vsanghvi
Participant

Thanks guys

Post by vsanghvi »

Thanks kcbland and Ray. I thought that the routine is the only way but then i thought may be there is a way and I don't know. So i asked here and you guys confirmed that that is the best way. I will go ahead with routines only. Again thanks for your help.