How to release multiple jobs...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajiivnb
Participant

How to release multiple jobs...

Post by rajiivnb »

Hi group,

Can any one tell me how to release multiple jobs. if i give the sequence to be relased, the job name given inside the seqeunce is not atomatically changing to the released version of the job. can any one suggest me a proper way how to release the jobs...

Thnx in advance..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can't do it through the sequence. You must multi-select the jobs in question in the dialog from the Manager.

Please note that releasing jobs is deprecated technology. The preferred approach nowadays (since about version 3.3!) is to use Version Control to create read-only jobs and other objects in test and production environments.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

For the distribution to DataStage-hosts without Developper-Tools-Access you have no other mean than distribution via release or you pay a high additional sum for the Develloper-Tools (Manager, Designer) without using them for develloping purpose.

I have never heart of a DS-Version 3.3. When I joined the community it was DS 3.1 (followed by 3.5 and 3.6) and before any DS-4.x-Version nothing could be heart from version control. Only since any DS-Version 5.x VersionControl is coming packed with DataStage, before it was a third-party-tool.

We don't use version control for Versioning, though at 3.1 it was not available and sind then we are happy with PVCS and dsmove.

Wolfgang
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Or simply import in a 'read-only' project.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: How to release multiple jobs...

Post by chulett »

rajiivnb wrote:Can any one tell me how to release multiple jobs. if i give the sequence to be relased, the job name given inside the seqeunce is not atomatically changing to the released version of the job. can any one suggest me a proper way how to release the jobs...
Ray noted that you need to select all the jobs yourself via the Manager.

On the subject of the Sequence not changing to use the released version of the job, this is a common misunderstanding and nothing to worry about. When the Sequence asks job 'XYZ' to run, it will find the 'highest' release number of that job and run it. That was about the only good thing about them when we used to release jobs - I could drop the third released version of a job into a project and the job control would automatically start to use it. If there was a problem, delete the third version and it would fall back to the second... assuming it hadn't been deleted from the project yet. :wink:

Can you imagine what a pain in the butt it would be if you had to change all of your controlling jobs to specifically call the latest released version of a job every time you released one? :shock:
WoMaWil wrote:For the distribution to DataStage-hosts without Developper-Tools-Access you have no other mean than distribution via release or you pay a high additional sum for the Develloper-Tools (Manager, Designer) without using them for develloping purpose.
I'm not really sure what this means. I've never heard of the concept of having a host without 'developer tools access', so I'm curious what this might be all about. About the only reason nowadays I can think of to 'need' to release jobs would be in support of the 'Operator' role with the Director. :?

I've been using Version Control since we bought it to use with DataStage 4.x and wouldn't dream of going back to releasing and packaging jobs. [shudder] No 'design time' information available outside the development project, no fallback to older versions without a third party tool, root access needed for 'dspackinst', etc etc. But hey, that's just me. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

I've never heard of the concept of having a host without 'developer tools access', so I'm curious what this might be all about.
Okay maybe that it is a bit missunderstanding. From the technical point of view you are right, but may be, that a company with one central DataStage site and several decentral sites decides from organizatorial point of view and from the money point of view not to access the decentral places by tools you have such a situation.

Why does IBM (ancient Ardent, ancient VMARK, ancient Informix, have I forgot an ancient?) sell a package much more cheaper without Develloper Tools if there is not at least one client who has this need?
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

A DataStage server license usually comes bundled with one or two developer licenses and a large (unlimited?) number of operator licenses. It is debatable whether getting a server license on its own would be any cheaper. I know some very large customers have a low fixed price for adding extra DataStage servers without a developer license cost.