What happens to the Job log when we rename the job?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumitgulati
Participant

What happens to the Job log when we rename the job?

Post by sumitgulati »

Hi,

I have a job that when ran gave a lot of warning messages. I am trying to see the log in director but its not opening up because its huge. I tried clearing the log from the director but even the clear log window seems to taking forever to open. Now I am planning to change the job name to get rid of the huge log.

I know changing the name will work but what I want to know is what happens to the log file if I rename the job. Does it also get deleted or does it continue to exist on the system and we just lose the pointer to it by renaming the job.

Thanks and Regards,
-Sumit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Learn patience, grasshopper!

If it's huge, it will take a long time to open.

You can request that the job log be cleared from Status view, which helps somewhat, but the pre-clear process still involves a goodly amount of checking, which means a table scan, which takes time. Start it before you go home for the evening; it will have been completed the following morning.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sumitgulati
Participant

Post by sumitgulati »

Thanks Ray. That explains why it takes time but I am still curious to know what happens to the log file if we rename a job.
Does it also get deleted or does it continue to exist on the system and we just lose the pointer to it by renaming the job?

Regards,
-Sumit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Renaming the job does not change the job number, and therefore retains the original log, status and config files. All renaming the job does, after a number of sanity checks, is to modify the DS_JOBS entry and some entries in DS_JOBOBJECTS, particularly the ROOT and V0 entries for that job.

Exporting, deleting and importing will give you a new job number.

I am not certain what exporting and importing with overwriting will do to the job number. I've never bothered to look.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsxuserrio
Participant

Post by dsxuserrio »

However when you rename a job , the job goes into not compiled state and also the logs get purged. As Ray said the same RT_LOGnnn will be used. But old entries will be wiped out. That is the reason why you wont be able to rename a job when the log window in director is open for that job.
dsxuserrio

Kannan.N
Bangalore,INDIA
sumitgulati
Participant

Post by sumitgulati »

Thanks a lot Ray and dsxuserrio.

-Sumit
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Ray,
Ray wrote:I am not certain what exporting and importing with overwriting will do to the job number. I've never bothered to look.
FYI

Exporting and importing with overwriting option does give a new job number. I just checked.

Rich
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And are the old RT_LOGnn, RT_CONFIGnn (etc.) files deleted?