Using Command line Basic to compile Basic Programs...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Transmogorifier
Participant

Using Command line Basic to compile Basic Programs...

Post by Transmogorifier »

Hi,
I am a newbie to BASIC programming in DataStage Server Edition 7.1.r1. I am unable to invoke the basic interpreter from the command line. I get an error saying unble to invoke .VOC file. Same error when I try to invoke CREATE.FILE. Any help will be appreciated. A basic idea about the command structures in BASIC would be helpful too.
Thanks.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

It is advisable to avoid programming in BASIC and use the GUI to the best possible way.

Can you explain how and what steps you are using to perform the create file?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You're probably at the wrong command line. And it's not an interpreter - it's compiled BASIC.

The command line where you need to be is that of dssh.

Before you invoke this shell, make sure you are attached to your DataStage project directory. If ever you see the question "This directory is not an account, do you want to make it one?" always answer NO.

You also need to have executed the dsenv script, so that your library path includes the DataStage libraries, before invoking the dssh shell.

The dssh shell has a ">" character as its prompt (by default).

The command within dssh to compile DataStage BASIC source code is BASIC. This generates "object" code in a directory that is named the same as the source code's directory plus a ".O" suffix.

The "object" code must also be executed within the dssh environment; think of dssh as a DataStage run machine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Transmogorifier
Participant

Thanks a LOT Ray.

I was not aware of dssh. I am able to compile and include my basic programs now.
Transmogorifier
Participant

Thanks Ray