Backup Hash files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yiminghu
Participant

Backup Hash files

Post by yiminghu »

Hi,

We're are in the middle process of moving to produciton. One of task is to prepare disaster recovery plan. I am wondering how to backup and hash files in case there is a problem with server? Is it enough to backup the folder which stores hash file? Or we have to use different mechanism?

thanks a lot,

Yiming
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you've created them using the 'pathed' option, then yes, backing up (in some form) the entire contents of their folder is sufficient.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The usual precautions about backing up databases apply. Make sure that they're not in use before starting the backup.

You can detect which dynamic hashed files are in use via the command analyze.shm -d (the executable is in the bin directory in the DataStage Engine directory). smat (shared memory analysis tool) is a synonym for analyze.shm
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

[quote="chulett"]If you've created them using the 'pathed' option, then yes, backing up (in some form) the entire contents of their folder is sufficient.[/quote]

But How can it be backed up if the Account Name is used with empty field?

Thanks,
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

olgc wrote:
chulett wrote:If you've created them using the 'pathed' option, then yes, backing up (in some form) the entire contents of their folder is sufficient.
But How can it be backed up if the Account Name is used with empty field?

Thanks,
Than your only choice is to backup the project, and since you can't separate job designs from hash file designs easily, it's an all-or-nothing restore. That would be why you shouldn't let data go into the project directory. It's like storing Word or Excel documents in the System32 folder.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
bdstage
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bdstage »

Will the indexes are also preserved if we backup the hash file by simply copying it from its source directory?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Thanks,
Pavan.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Yes, but externally pathed hashed files don't have a pointer (synonym) in the project, so you can copy them around to anywhere easily. Project-defaulted hashed files assume the file is in the project directory.
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

bdstage wrote:Will the indexes are also preserved if we backup the hash file by simply copying it from its source directory?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Thanks,
Pavan.
Indexes will NOT be preserved. By default a hashed file does not have any indexes, so that's not a problem. If you have created index(es) you will need to back up the I_hashedfile directory for each. You should also have backed up the D_hashedfile file (the dictionary portion) for each.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

My apologies, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't clarify my thoughts that the poster doesn't have to worry about indexes since hashed files don't have them unless you specifically create them. I mentally figured that they mean "primary key index" which of course doesn't exist on a hashed file. Secondaries are other issues as Ray has noted.
Kenneth Bland

bdstage
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bdstage »

Thanks Ray and Kenneth for your valuable inputs. It clearly helped me in understanding the hash file back up process and for good DR.

Thanks a lot.