Handling the logs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

madhonrougeuri
Participant

Handling the logs

Post by madhonrougeuri »

Hi,
To log the warnings(success,fatal etc..)in the job sequencer stage, a log file should be created.So,is it that admin should create the log file or in the routine we should hard code to create the log file if one is not already present??
And also about handling the rejected records,should there be a file in the dev directory already,so that I can just browse to that path name..
Plz let me know.
Thanks
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

DataStage allots a number for each job when created. It also creates its log file (called RT_LOGnnn where nnn is the job number) at that time.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only it's not a log file - it's a log table (hashed file). So you have no easy mechanism for browsing it from the operating system level. It is always created in the project directory - you are given no control over this - though you can move it later (subject to a number of caveats, not least of which being a need to adjust its VOC pointer).

As far as rejected records are concerned, you handle that in your job design. If you send them to a text file via a Sequential File stage, the file will be created if it does not already exist. You don't have to create the file in advance. Though you can if you want to.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.