Analyzing directory Hash Files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

trobinson
Participant

Analyzing directory Hash Files

Post by trobinson »

Most of our hash files are directory and not project account hash files. I would like to run some UniVerse utilities like HASH-TEST and HASH.AID against some of these hash files to tune them for performance. I think I can do this if I define the hash file to the VOC. Is this true and if so, how?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Search the forum for "SETFILE"
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

One thing to keep in mind - if the utility is available from the command line, i.e. is in the engine's 'bin' directory, I believe it can take an optional pathname and not need a VOC record.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If your hash files are dynamic then HASH.HELP and some of the other commands do not work and are not necessary. ANALYZE.FILE is for dynamic files. I always prefer VOC entries. I always edit VOC. I hate SETFILE. Learn to use ED. It is useful for many debuging or hack tricks.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Be aware that hashed files are created as dynamic hashed files by default. So the utilities you mentioned are not appropriate. The only inspection tools for dynamic hashed files are ANALYZE.FILE (which, you will see from its VOC entry, invokes the file.stat executable with a mode of ANALYZE) and fixtool, which replaces uvfixfile though the latter can still be used for hashed files with 32-bit internal addressing.

I disagree with Kim on this; SETFILE is a perfectly adequate tool, and has the added benefit of checking and reporting when the file pointed to does not exist. Much more appropriate for newbies!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Anjan Roy
Participant

Post by Anjan Roy »

I am trying to run hash.help on a directory based hash file. I am running the following command from the datastage executable directory and getting the following error -

Code: Select all

/opt/ascential/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin> hash.help /files/cdo/ua/batch/shared/hash/HashLookup_POSN_1
Unable to open VOC file.
Am I missing something? I would want to avoid using SETFILE to create a pointer.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I believe that most of the static hashed file utilities (HASH.HELP, FILE.STAT, HASH.AID, GROUP.STAT, etc.) require the VOC pointer. You could always remove it afterwards.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.