"Icing" a Job withing a Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ryoung011
Participant

"Icing" a Job withing a Sequencer

Post by ryoung011 »

We have a "master" sequencer that executes some jobs and bunches of other (nested) Sequencers.

Our issue is that we want to (in Autosys terms) "ice" various jobs on occasion. By "ice", I mean: don't execute the activity, but evaluate (trigger) to "OK" so that downstream jobs are triggered.

We've tried "Validate Only", but have noticed the following (in our environment):
- If JobActivity is set to "Validate Only" for a Server Job that creates and writes to a file, the file is created with no data.
- A Job cannot be "validated" more than once...it must be compiled between runs if the Job Activity for that job is set to "Validate Only"

We've tried "Reset Only", but have noticed the following (in our environment):
- Similar to "Validate Only", a Job cannot be "reset" more than once...it must be compiled between runs if the Job Activity for that job is set to "Reset Only"

We were hoping to write a routine that would compile all Jobs that exist in Job Activity stages with Job Action = "Validate Only", but this metadata doesn't seem to be available.

I'm more familiar with Informatica which handles this "icing" feature of job control much more elegantly (and with no coding AND with robust metadata), but I digress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Rick
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Try using 'Sequence' stage to do this with 'Any' option.

You can make a separate link around your 'icing' chain of jobs and join at the end with this sequence.
ryoung011
Participant

Post by ryoung011 »

Yes, but is there a way to do this without altering the composure of the sequencer job (without adding Sequencer stages to collect links with Any)?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

One method is to change the sequence you wish to 'ice' to be having only the logging information.

I have not been too much involved with Informatica, but am sure that you need to highlight the fact to 'ice' specified sequencers in some way or other, which will need some modifications.