scheduled job picks wrong value of parameter

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yiminghu
Participant

scheduled job picks wrong value of parameter

Post by yiminghu »

Hi,

I'm having a very strange problem regarding to scheduled job. In the scheduling, I specified the correct values for parameters. ( I already verified in the schedule) But when the job gets running, it keeps picking wrong values.

Couldn't figure out why? Has anybody experienced same situations? How to resolve it?

Thanks,

Carol
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Can you explain with an example that we can replicate it.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It would probably also help to verify what you mean by 'scheduled'. Via Director? And therefore via 'cron' or 'at'? When you say you verified it in the schedule, does that mean you checked the crontab for the scheduling user?

Also, when you say it 'picked wrong values', does that mean it used the default value and not what you provided when scheduling, or something else entirely?

Hate to make too many assumptions here. :? The more information you can provide, the better a chance we have of helping you.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
yiminghu
Participant

Post by yiminghu »

Sorry, I should have provided more details. I used datastage director to schedule the job, and I keep all parameter values as default. The problems I' m having are
1. value of paramter which has single quotation. The default is '0', but when the job gets run, it stripped the the quotation, the value becomes 0, but when manually submitted the job, it was fine.
2. Password. If I manaully submit the job, it was OK, but when the job scheduled to run, it keeps telling the password is not correct. By the way The password is encripted string.

Thanks,

Carol
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your first problem is a known issue with parameter values. I've stopped trying to use quoted values in parameters a long time ago because of the fact that certain situations seem to strip them off.

Best to not include them in the value, but include them when they are used. For example, rather than passing in '0', pass in the zero and quote the job parameter itself - i.e. '#ParameterName#'.

Unfortunately, your second issue could be a nasty bug that crops up from time to time. I've seen the exact same thing and could never get an explanation from Support as to what caused it to happen. I could have several hundred jobs running fine and then one would start exhibiting this behaviour. :evil: Sometimes recompiling and repromoting the job straightens it out, sometimes the only 'fix' was to pass the password in the clear, in a text string. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
Can you set the password as string instead of password being encripted.
Then run the job ans see if it still gives the error.

Ketfos[/quote]
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
to add on what was said, regarding hte password simply retype it and rerun without changing it manually.
also is this password a parameter supplied by another job or is this job the first being run via the schedualing?
if another job run's this one retype it there as well.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org