Copying Project parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Copying Project parameters

Post by PhilHibbs »

I have been merrily copying job parameters around by doing an XML export, but how do I do the same for user-defined project variables?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I think you'll need to update/insert data in the repository for that one.
I believe a search here should get results with some relevant code, or as already siad in this forum a unsupported/advised hack via trace to get the commands performed when manually performing the task.

I wonder if Kim's (AKA kduke in this forum) products can do this? (parameter manager and dwnav)

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I have never used those. I have no idea where they are stored. If someone knows then post it. Maybe we can hack a solution.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I have a very strong sense of Deja Vu working right now. Didn't you post this very same question only a few days ago, Phil? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sudharsanan
Participant

Post by sudharsanan »

Job parameters are always Project specific i.e is Environment Specific.. parameters will be different for development Env compare to Production Env.. one of the way to reslove this is using some tool(I am not sure which tool.. probalby some expert can help you in that).. or we can use the option what we use in our project...we use a hash file where we have key and value.. the values are the environment specific values (for eg.Database connection details..directory details)..this hashfiles will have all the job parameters..this need to be loaded before you start executing the jobs... also this is specific to env.. so you just have to modify the file based on the environment...you need to write a routine to the get the values from this hash file...i hope this information may be useful for you..
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

chulett wrote:I have a very strong sense of Deja Vu working right now. Didn't you post this very same question only a few days ago, Phil? :?
I did, but the post contained two questions, and I only got answers to the second. I thought it was worth trying again.
sudharsanan wrote:Job parameters are always Project specific i.e is Environment Specific.. parameters will be different for development Env compare to Production Env..
Yes, but the parameter names will be the same in the production environment as in development, and many of the values will be similar. Having to re-type everything when we create a new project environment is very tedious, even if it only has to be done two or three times.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

I have now answered my own queston. The settings are stored in DSParams in the project directory. There are two parts: one in the [EnvVarDefns] section, which stores the properties of the parameter such as data type and prompt, and one in the [EnvVarValues] section that stores the values.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant