File Routing!!! is it possible??

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

alraaayeq
Participant

File Routing!!! is it possible??

Post by alraaayeq »

I think one of you might been in a situation when he receives XYZ files and want to forward them to ABC servers, personally; this got to be my daily activities and I suffered from some limitation of my code.

I heard that there is a kind of product by Aacential that can do file routing stuff, is this true? and do any one have any experience with it where he can share it with us?

if not, can any body suggest any other products?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In terms of DataStage, could you use a Sequence that looks for existence of files and then calls FTP to transfer them to other machines... DataStage might be a bit overpriced for this :wink:
It might best be solved with a short UNIX script. Or is there something else that you need to do?
alraaayeq
Participant

Post by alraaayeq »

ArndW wrote:In terms of DataStage, could you use a Sequence that looks for existence of files and then calls FTP to transfer them to other machines... DataStage might be a bit overpriced for this :wink:
It might best be solved with a short UNIX script. Or is there something else that you need to do?
when it comes to files routing tools the following points are involved (from my point of view)

1- FTP, TCP/IP... etc
2- list of destinations and list of sources
3- file transferring logging
4- failure resolving and file re-transferring
5- monitoring

I totaly agree with you that "DataStage might be a bit overpriced for this"

Unix scripts might get buggy and endless puzzle if you are dealing with 10+ sources and 1000+ files and 2+ targets...Actually I did solve it with C++ and Unix shell scripts...but I ended up with a mess of scripts and utilities since every day the owner is asking to add more files and sources.... :cry:
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It does look like you could use DataStage sequences and put your business logic (which files get transferred how & when) into either DS or other tables and use the tool that way. I would probably use DS instead of other coding mechanisms given the choice. Tools like Control-M or Patrol (if the client has 'em) are better suited to this kind of task, though.
alraaayeq
Participant

TX product.

Post by alraaayeq »

I have received a proposal from (X) company saying that TX is really suitable for File routing!

Can any body who has experience with it help me and give me his comments. :!:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Post your question over in the TX forum and we'll see! :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
alraaayeq
Participant

Post by alraaayeq »

Thanks,