Job activity stage within loop stages

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumitgulati
Participant

Job activity stage within loop stages

Post by sumitgulati »

Hi All,

I have a sequencer in which I am using the LOOP stages (introduced in version 7.5). With in the loop I have a Routine Activity stage and a Job Activity Stage. In the Routine activity stage I read a hash file. The value returned by the Routine activity stage is used by Job activity stage to call a multiple instance job passing the Routine activity return value to one of the job parameters. The job it calls is a multiple instance job and the invocation id is set to the loop counter. My requirement is that the Job activity stage should not wait for the job it called to get over. Rather it should pass the control to the next stage immediately after triggering the job. Is it possible?

Thanks and Regards,
-Sumit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not that way. It is the nature of the design that EndLoop is triggered by completion of the Job Activity.

You could have a RoutineActivity in the loop that starts the job asynchronously. But even easier would simply be to have N instances of a Job Activity on the canvas with no dependencies.

In this case it is easier to manage detection of completion - a trigger from each to an "All" Sequencer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

You can share the process metadata across these multiple-instance-jobs by designing them to write their start and completion info into some table / file, which you can poll from your sequencer to confirm the completion of all of them.
sumitgulati
Participant

Post by sumitgulati »

Thanks for you suggestions.

Regards,
-Sumit