Error selecting from log file RT_LOGxx

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

It is because one of your log file RT_LOG31 has corrupted (overflow) segment.

As you say that is happened after your server maintenance, it will be wise to take a full export of the whole project on a new file name.

Also it is important to identify what steps they took in this maintenance.

As this is only a log file, you can be lucky to get off with it. But without knowing what happened during maintenance, it will be difficult to identify the full impact that has been caused.

After taking the backup, try to cleanup the project from DataStage director. This will reindex objects in your project.

If still you have the problem with log, you can try to
* export that job
* delete from DataStage (Director / Manager)
* reimport the job

Did your server became full or were people user DS when the maintenance took place?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome!

Something has corrupted the log for job number 31. Try searching the forums here for keywords like 'blink' and you'll find posts like this one. It should get you straightened out.

If not, post back. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Update

Post by Precious »

Hi,

Tried your suggestions, but could not delete the job. When I checked the other jobs, they were also similarly affected. Because of time constraints, I did the following:

Copied the files in the Template directory to the directory of the affected project.

So far, this seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for all the help,
Presh
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Your template directory contains a 'sample project with full installation objects'. Unfortunately it does not contain any bit that you may have designed and built after installation. Unless and otherwise there was some problem with DataStage installation, I do not see how you can copy these objects across to solve the problem !!

Can you please let me know the steps you took to correct this as it will shed some light and assist me to understand.

It will also be helpful for others having similar problem.
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

I figured that the Dynamic hash files that DataStage uses to store information had somehow become corrupted when they brought the server down.

I essentially 're-set' the project by replacing the DS objects with 'clean' ones. I am sure there is a less drastic way to resolve this, but as I mentioned earlier, time was not on my side.

As to what I did,

I merely copied the files from the Template dir into the project folder. All existing DS objects were replaced, and everything else stayed the same. So I did not overwrite anything that I had built/designed.

I'm not sure why it worked, but it did. I thought that if the worst happened and I lost all my jobs, I could always restore from backups.
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.