Connection Problem AIX Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hemant
Participant

Connection Problem AIX Server

Post by hemant »

Problem desc: Connection broken 81002

Im am facing this problem on the AIX server DS 7.1ver. have gone through n no. of trails.
I also changed the time out as "Do Not time out" too
but still when i initiate my job after 5 min. my connection is broken from the server where as the connection with database is still alive.
Ray, i have gone through yur all the mails specific to it so plz. do suggest me above that .
other suggestion welcomed.

Hemant
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

What is breaking? Is your Director client session breaking, or are all client sessions (Designer, Manager, Director) breaking at the same time?

Is this a new installation, or an existing installation?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

My Director and Client connection is breaking and on that many other client machines are also effected because of this .
This is the new installation but rest other jobs are working except for this.
(i.e This is a simple job of extraction )

Hemant
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Just to be absolutely sure, the jobs are running fine, it's the GUI clients that are on your PC that are having problems. Not just Director, but Manager and Designer as well.

Are you running a lot of jobs when the clients lose their connections? A heavily loaded server with a lot of activity can cause the overburdened cpus to not service your PC client sessions fast enough and they can break. THIS IS NOT THE TIMEOUT SETTING IN DS ADMIN. The DS ADMIN setting is for the server side to kill off clients that appear to be idle. The problem I'm describing is due to internal servicing of the clients.

If you're not running a lot of jobs, or the system is idle, does this problem occur? If so, have you verified that all kernel settings are what they are supposed to be?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

Just to be absolutely sure, the jobs are running fine, it's the GUI clients that are on your PC that are having problems. Not just Director, but Manager and Designer as well :

- Yes absolutely right , but do not include the manager into it cause i am concerned with designer and director right now and one more thing if i put disigner open then job get locked at that very moment .

No, i am with a good SAR when i am running my job every thing is fine system is 92 % idle.

Can yu provide me the list of settings that i have to check?

- Hemant
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Did you check whether there is any firewall stopping this connection?

Can you ping the server? Also try using the ip-address of the server in DataStage rather than the name.
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

Ray cound you suggest me what this problem about cause couldn't identify the source of the problem .

Hemant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are only two things I can suggest beyond what has already been offered; really you need to be a detective on-site. Has your support provider been able to assist?

One is to enable server side tracing, connect a client, wait till the connection is lost, then see if there is anything in the trace file that might suggest a cause. Do remember to disable server side tracing when done!

The other is to involve your network administrator to try to determine whether there are any interruptions. These could be detected by your agent processes on the server leading them to terminate the connection.

Does the problem occur with clients that are active (someone working all the time) or only with inactive connections?

Finally, please do not address requests to me directly - I might end up billing you for my time!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

ray.wurlod wrote:There are only two things I can suggest beyond what has already been offered; really you need to be a detective on-site. Has your support provider been able to assist?

One is to enable server side tracing, connect a client, wait till the connection is lost, then see if there is anything in the trace file that might suggest a cause. Do remember to disable server side tracing when done!

The other is to involve your network administrator to try to determine whether there are any interruptions. These could be detected by your agent processes on the server leading them to terminate the connection.

Does the problem occur with clients that are active (someone working all the time) or only with inactive connections?

Finally, please do not address requests to me directly - I might end up billing you for my time!

But ,can say yu thanks for the support ? or..
The problem is rectified and resolved :D

Hemant