sequence job within a sequence job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

smoffa
Premium Member
Premium Member

sequence job within a sequence job

Post by smoffa »

I have a sequence job, masterseq, that calls another sequence job, seq1. There are two output links on seq1 in masterseq with triggers set up as follows.

One link with a custom "success" trigger:

seq1.$jobstatus < 3

And the other link has a "Failed" trigger.

When seq1 fails the masterseq still follows the success link.

Can someone tell my what I'm doing wrong? This logic seems to work fine when seq1 is a call to a job (as opposed to a sequence job).

Is there another variable I should be looking at?

Thanks, Steve

Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

What do you mean by 'sequence failed'? Does it imply that one job within the sub-sequence failed?

If yes, then that does not constitute failure of sequence. The sequence as such was asked to execute a job and so it did. There was no check put in place to act on whether the job completed successfully or otherwise. Hence as per the result, the sequence has finished its work 'successfully'.
smoffa
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by smoffa »

Actually all the jobs within seq1 failed. Seq1 is a sequence job which runs the same job multiple times with different input files. Seq1 failed because it couldn't open the input files.

Okay, let me ask this question. In my masterseq, is there a variable that I can use to check if any jobs in my sub-sequence (seq1) failed?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

You can set the user-status of your sequence in your seq1 depending on success or failure of the job(s) under it and the logic you intend. You may be better-off checking the user status of the seq 1.
smoffa
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by smoffa »

Can you tell me how to set the user status?