Sequencer Information

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

denzilsyb
Participant

Sequencer Information

Post by denzilsyb »

environment:

projects: development
version_control (vc repository)
production (protected)

I have a sequencer that i demote with its corresponding jobs from the production environment. I then make minor changes to the job - like add a sequencer and a link to the sequence_job. What I found is that after compiling and promoting the sequencer to production, the changes are not filtered through to the job. Its as if DS didnt detect changes I made to the design.

Is there a process that DS goes through before compiling the code of a sequencer? i.e. detects if changes made to the job are going to make a difference to the code already generated by a previous compilation?

What I did find is that if I take the changes and create a new job completely, the sequencer works according to the changes.

today is a strange day indeed.
dnzl
"what the thinker thinks, the prover proves" - Robert Anton Wilson
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello there DNZL,

I think you've put the answer into your query. If your production is "protected" then you have the RO flags set. Do you use Export to move the job(s) between the projects? When you import the changed job does the Import -> Datastage Objects query about overwriting?
denzilsyb
Participant

Post by denzilsyb »

Hi ArndW

I am using version control to promote and demote the jobs between development and production, so the jobs are overwritten without prompts.
dnzl
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello there denzilsyb - I haven't used the VCS recently, but it still does look like the "protected" project and you trying to update an existing object is the culprit. Someone else will certainly be able to solve your issue.
denzilsyb
Participant

Post by denzilsyb »

Thanks ArndW

I doubt the protected project is the culprit, because version control maintains how the jobs are promoted. All I am not allowed to do is change jobs in the protected environment.

I hope someone can shed light, but for now I have jhust cleaned up the &PH& directories and brought down the services in the hope that somehow these resolve the issue.
dnzl
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, it may very well be the protected project which VC has known problems with. What exact version of the 7.x software are you running?

A quick test would be to unprotect the project just before promotion and then reprotect it afterwards. See if things upload normally then.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
denzilsyb
Participant

Post by denzilsyb »

chulett wrote:Actually, it may very well be the protected project which VC has known problems with. What exact version of the 7.x software are you running?

A quick test would be to unprotect the project just before promotion and then reprotect it afterwards. See if things upload normally then.
I will test the suggestion. We are running DS7.1 on Solaris 9.

The problem though is that it used to work fine, and recently it has been giving problems - as if something has been building up in the background and now boiled over in what may be a potentially serious problem.
dnzl