Can we see a Job's Code

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anandkumarm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Can we see a Job's Code

Post by anandkumarm »

Hi,

Can we see a DataStage Job's Basic code?. I understand that we can see a Job sequence's code in the Job control, but is there any way in which we can see Basic code for a Job.

Thanks,
Anand.
ogmios
Participant

Re: Can we see a Job's Code

Post by ogmios »

The easiest way for you probably is to export the executable code of a job via DataStage manager and then open that file in Notepad: you will see big piece of the generate code.

Not that it matters since you can't change the code generated from a GUI job.

Ogmios.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

In earlier versions of DataStage this was an easy way to see how a job works. This is not as simple any more. There is a RT_BPnnn file where nnn is the job number. This does get compiled. I doubt if you could still look at the generated code. Hack it and see. I am sure ASCL will be thrilled to see we are looking under the covers.

Some of the hacking is beneficial. I did look at the code generated in a sequence to see why the exception handler did not trap jobs without warning links. I do not like the way they implemented that. I think some of the SQL against DS_JOBOBJECTS is useful. Let us know what you figure out.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A job is executed by a BASIC routine called DSD.RUN. Source code for this is not available.

A Transformer stage is executed by a BASIC routine called DSD.StageRun. Source code for this is not available.

The code generated for a Transfomer stage by compiling a job can still be viewed in RT_BPnnn, where nnn is the job number from DS_JOBS. This, and job control code, is the only part of the code that you can see.

Note that this is for server jobs only.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
anandkumarm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anandkumarm »

ray.wurlod wrote:A job is executed by a BASIC routine called DSD.RUN. Source code for this is not available.

A Transformer stage is executed by a BASIC routine called DSD.StageRun. Source code for this is not available.

The code generated for a Transfomer stage by compiling a job can still be viewed in RT_BPnnn, where nnn is the job number from DS_JOBS. This, and job control code, is the only part of the code that you can see.

Note that this is for server jobs only.

Thank you very much for all you guys for explaining.

Anand.