Multiple Instances

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kab123
Participant

Multiple Instances

Post by kab123 »

Hi,

May I know in what context we can use Multiple Instances..?

I have a job to look for which is running in Multiple Instances...what we need to specify while running it...at Invocation ID..?

Thanks in Advance...
Thanks
bryan
Participant

Post by bryan »

here is what i interpreted when i had a need for it

if you have a job which basically reads from a file, transforms and writes to another file

but you have multiple files that have the same structure and needed the same transforms, then you would go for mutiple instances.

So, when you select ALLOW MULTIPLE INSTANCES and run your job, you will be asked for invocation id.

give an ID and you will see in the director as MAINJOBNAME.INVOCATIONID

The log files for these Invocation ID's would be view of the mainjob.
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
You could use Multiple Instance option if you want to run N times the same job to load N similar files with same structure and different names into datatabse table or files

Ketfos
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I use multiple instances because a job may need to run at the same time. For example at the end of each job sequence we gather row counts. So the instance id is the sequence name and so is one of the parameters. Therefore the same sequence will never finish at the same time unless it is a multiple instance job too.
Mamu Kim